Understanding Acceleration From Different Frames of Reference

In summary: The driver will see the passenger at rest and accelerate toward him/her. The passenger will see the driver accelerate toward him/her, but then will hit the dashboard.In summary, the concept of constant velocity and acceleration can be viewed differently from different frames of reference, leading to different observations of the same event.
Sean1218
This is what my teacher told me, but I still don't really see how it works.

Say a person is in a car traveling at constant velocity, and it crashes into a tree, from an inertial frame of reference (the road), the person in the car continues traveling at the constant velocity of the car until he hits the dashboard. However, from the non-inertial frame of reference of the car, the person is at rest, and suddenly starts accelerating until he hits the velocity of the car, at which point he continues moving at that constant velocity (or until he hits the dashboard).

and you can even calculate this acceleration if you know how long it takes since you have v1 (from rest), and v2 (velocity that the car had). What I don't get is that if from the frame of reference of the car, if he's accelerating for a brief moment, and you can actually calculate it, how could someone on the road not see this acceleration?

or is it not a smooth acceleration? like, is it he's at rest, then as soon as the car hits the tree, he's at constant velocity? and that's why he's saying he's accelerating? but in this case there's no time between the two to calculate...

So, if you have two people staring at this guy in the car crashing into the tree, one is in the car, and one is on the road, the guy on the road will see the guy in the car continue moving at constant velocity as the car hits the tree, while the guy in the car will see the other guy in the car accelerating from rest to the constant velocity of the car (or until he hits the dashboard)?

Could anyone help clear this up for me?

Physics news on Phys.org

Sean1218 said:
This is what my teacher told me, but I still don't really see how it works.

Say a person is in a car traveling at constant velocity, and it crashes into a tree, from an inertial frame of reference (the road), the person in the car continues traveling at the constant velocity of the car until he hits the dashboard. However, from the non-inertial frame of reference of the car, the person is at rest, and suddenly starts accelerating until he hits the velocity of the car, at which point he continues moving at that constant velocity (or until he hits the dashboard).

and you can even calculate this acceleration if you know how long it takes since you have v1 (from rest), and v2 (velocity that the car had). What I don't get is that if from the frame of reference of the car, if he's accelerating for a brief moment, and you can actually calculate it, how could someone on the road not see this acceleration?
Someone on the road will see the car's acceleration, but not the driver's acceleration. The driver will be seen as moving at the velocity of the car until he hits the dashboard.

or is it not a smooth acceleration?
I am not sure what you mean by smooth.
like, is it he's at rest, then as soon as the car hits the tree, he's at constant velocity?
He is at rest or at constant velocity with respect to what?
So, if you have two people staring at this guy in the car crashing into the tree, one is in the car, and one is on the road, the guy on the road will see the guy in the car continue moving at constant velocity as the car hits the tree, while the guy in the car will see the other guy in the car accelerating from rest to the constant velocity of the car (or until he hits the dashboard)?

Could anyone help clear this up for me?
The passenger in the car will be at rest with respect to the driver, and will suffer the same fate as the driver. That's for sure, unless one has his seat belt fastened and the other has not.

1. What is acceleration from a frame of reference?

Acceleration from a frame of reference refers to the change in velocity of an object as observed from a particular point of view or frame of reference. It takes into account the relative motion between the observer and the object, and is measured in terms of the rate of change of velocity over time.

2. How does acceleration from different frames of reference affect an object's motion?

Acceleration from different frames of reference can affect an object's motion by changing its velocity and/or direction. This is because the acceleration of an object is dependent on the observer's perspective, and the same object may be experiencing different accelerations when viewed from different frames of reference.

3. What are some examples of different frames of reference?

Some examples of different frames of reference include a stationary observer on the ground, a passenger in a moving car, and an astronaut in a spacecraft orbiting Earth. Each of these frames of reference will have a different perspective on the motion of an object.

4. How do you calculate acceleration from different frames of reference?

To calculate acceleration from different frames of reference, you need to first determine the velocity of the object as observed from each frame. Then, using these velocities and the time interval, you can calculate the acceleration using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

5. Why is it important to understand acceleration from different frames of reference?

Understanding acceleration from different frames of reference is important because it helps us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects. It also allows us to take into account the relative motion between an observer and an object, and to understand how different perspectives can affect our perception of motion.