Electromagnetic energy injected into combustion process?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of injecting electromagnetic energy into the combustion process of hydrogen and oxygen. The speaker is unsure if this is the right place to ask about it and is seeking information on the potential effects and where to learn more. A suggestion is made to look into work done by Los Alamos in a related area, and it is mentioned that adding enough energy would heat up the hydrogen and oxygen. However, more details are needed for a thorough answer.
hobbs125
Hmm, not sure if this is the right place to be asking this.

I am wanting to understand what effects electromagnetic energy can have when injected into the combustion process of hydrogen and oxygen?

Can anyone tell me or point me what effects can occur or point me in the right direction to learn of such effects?

Physics news on Phys.org
Los Alamos has done some work in a related area. You could start there.

Assuming that you added enough to do anything, it would heat up the hydrogen and oxygen.
But I would really need more details to give you a better answer. What frequency, how much, etc.

1. What is electromagnetic energy injection in the combustion process?

Electromagnetic energy injection in the combustion process is the use of electromagnetic waves to enhance the combustion of fuel in an engine. This process involves applying a high frequency electromagnetic field to the fuel or air mixture, which can improve the efficiency and performance of the combustion reaction.

2. How does electromagnetic energy injection affect combustion?

Electromagnetic energy injection can improve combustion in several ways. Firstly, it can break down larger fuel molecules into smaller, more reactive ones, leading to a more efficient combustion process. Additionally, it can ionize the fuel and air mixture, creating a more stable flame that burns more completely. This results in a reduction of pollutants and an increase in thermal efficiency.

3. What are the benefits of using electromagnetic energy injection in combustion?

Some potential benefits of using electromagnetic energy injection in combustion include improved engine performance, increased fuel efficiency, and reduced emissions. It can also lead to a more complete combustion process, reducing the amount of unburned fuel and particulate matter that is released into the environment.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using electromagnetic energy injection in combustion?

While electromagnetic energy injection has many potential benefits, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One potential issue is the cost of implementing this technology, as it may require modifications to the engine and additional equipment. There may also be concerns about the potential effects of electromagnetic waves on human health and the environment.

5. What is the current research on electromagnetic energy injection in combustion?

Research on electromagnetic energy injection in combustion is ongoing, with many studies focusing on its potential for improving engine efficiency and reducing emissions. Some researchers are also exploring the use of alternative energy sources, such as renewable electricity, to power the electromagnetic field. Overall, there is still much to learn about this technology and its potential applications in the future.