Ratio of logarithms in various bases to other bases

In summary, the conversation was discussing the terminology and use of logarithms in different bases, specifically log in base 10, ln in base e, and logx in base x. It was also mentioned that there is a ratio between logarithms in different bases, and the change of base formula was suggested as a way to find the ratio. The conversation also touched on finding the logarithm of different bases on a calculator.
Kael42
I'm unsure as to if I am using the correct terminology, but what I mean by this is
log = logarithm in base 10.
ln = logarithm in base e.
logx = logarithm in base x.

Upon some investigation, I found that log(a)/ln(a)=log(b)/ln(b) where a and b are constants,
meaning that there is a ratio between the logarithms.

What is the function of this ratio, in terms of logx and logy?
I.e. If logy(c)=f(x)logx(c), what is f(x)?

The reason behind my search here is to find out how to put a logx (logarithm in base x) function in terms of ln. I want to experiment with various functions in logx on my graphics calculator, but it doesn't have the option to use logarithms in bases other than e and 10.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]\log_{b}(a) = \frac{\log_{d}(a)}{\log_{d}(b)}[/tex]

If you are working with logs have a look at the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_logarithmic_identities" . Very useful

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so. As an example, log(5) does not equal ln(5)/ln(6).

Kael42 said:
I don't think so. As an example, log(5) does not equal ln(5)/ln(6).

[tex]\log_{10} 5 = 0.6989...[/tex]
[tex]\frac{ln(5)}{ln(10)} = 0.6989...[/tex]

I have no idea where you got ln(6) from...

My mistake. I missed that b was on both sides. So on the calculator, if I wanted a graph of the logx of 5, I would simply need y=ln5/lnx?
I.e., ln(5-x)?

ln5/lnx is not equal to ln(5-x)!

I'm not sure what you're trying to find.

If you just want to be able to find the logarithm of different bases, the change of base formula is what you want.

If you want the ratio between different bases, then the ratio is equal to 1/log b where b is your base. Take the base 10 log of your number and multiply by the ratio. (For example, the natural log of a number is always 2.30 times the base 10 log (plus change - slide rules only go to 3 significant digits and slide rules are one of the main reasons for knowing that ratio).

On a calculator, I'm not sure knowing the ratio will save you any steps.

Thanks BobG, I'm aware of the use of the ratio, I was just wondering what the formula for the ratio was.

As for my error... I blame fatigue. It was late and my head was addled. I messed up my log laws.

What is the ratio of logarithms in various bases to other bases?

The ratio of logarithms in various bases to other bases is the relationship between the logarithms of a number in different bases. It is used to convert a logarithm in one base to a logarithm in another base.

How is the ratio of logarithms in various bases calculated?

The ratio of logarithms in various bases is calculated by dividing the logarithm of a number in one base by the logarithm of the same number in another base. For example, if we want to find the ratio of log base 3 to log base 10, we would divide log3 by log10.

What is the significance of the ratio of logarithms in various bases?

The ratio of logarithms in various bases is important in mathematics and science as it allows us to convert between different bases and simplify calculations involving logarithms. It also helps us understand the relationship between different bases and their logarithms.

Can the ratio of logarithms in various bases be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio of logarithms in various bases can be greater than 1. This indicates that the logarithm in the first base is larger than the logarithm in the second base. For example, the ratio of log base 5 to log base 2 is approximately 2.322, meaning that log5 is larger than log2.

Are there any specific rules for calculating the ratio of logarithms in various bases?

Yes, there are certain rules that can be used to simplify the calculation of the ratio of logarithms in various bases. These include the quotient rule, power rule, and change of base formula. It is important to follow these rules to ensure accurate calculations.