Equivalence Classes for Set S: Understanding the Unique Class [x]

In summary: The answer said "one equivalence class for each real number...etc. ", not "one equivalence class".ok,but that raise me to another problemit says that for each real number x such that 0 ≤ x < 1. , which means that the whole relation only valids for that range?requires some help on understanding the relation between the a-b and xWell, there is an equivalence class for 1.5 too (for example), but that is equal to the equivalence class of 0.5 (since 1.5-0.5 is in Z). So every equivalence class can be written as \{x+k~\vert~k\in \math
look416
Given the set S, where aSb if and only if a - b [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex]

It is asking for the equivalence class and the answer given is
S has only one equivalance class for each real number x such that 0 ≤ x < 1. the class [x] is given by {x + k : k [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex]}

i dun get it, since S is a set of relation where a - b is an element of Z, then there should be a lot of equivalance class for S, however, it states that S has only one equivalence class and its {x + k}

Physics news on Phys.org
look416 said:
Given the set S, where aSb if and only if a - b [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex]

It is asking for the equivalence class and the answer given is
S has only one equivalance class for each real number x such that 0 ≤ x < 1. the class [x] is given by {x + k : k [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex]}

i dun get it, since S is a set of relation where a - b is an element of Z, then there should be a lot of equivalance class for S, however, it states that S has only one equivalence class and its {x + k}

Hey look416.

The equivalence class seems to be defined in terms of the usual way (in terms of a modulus like definition) and since you are dealing with integers this seems appropriate (the final thing is going to be a set of integers).

but its stating it owns one equivalence class only, i thought there should be infinite sets of classes?

look416 said:
but its stating it owns one equivalence class only, i thought there should be infinite sets of classes?

The answer said "one equivalence class for each real number...etc. ", not "one equivalence class".

ok,but that raise me to another problem
it says that for each real number x such that 0 ≤ x < 1. , which means that the whole relation only valids for that range?
requires some help on understanding the relation between the a-b and x

look416 said:
ok,but that raise me to another problem
it says that for each real number x such that 0 ≤ x < 1. , which means that the whole relation only valids for that range?
requires some help on understanding the relation between the a-b and x

Well, there is an equivalence class for 1.5 too (for example), but that is equal to the equivalence class of 0.5 (since 1.5-0.5 is in Z). So every equivalence class can be written as [itex]\{x+k~\vert~k\in \mathbb{Z}\}[/itex] with x in [0,1[.

oh, so the variable x is account for the decimals among the integers, i see

1. What are equivalence classes?

Equivalence classes are groups or categories that contain objects or elements that are considered equivalent or indistinguishable from one another based on a specific property or criteria. This property or criteria is known as an equivalence relation.

2. What is an example of an equivalence class?

An example of an equivalence class is the set of all positive even numbers. Each number in this set is considered equivalent because they all share the property of being positive and even.

3. How are equivalence classes represented?

Equivalence classes are often represented using brackets and a notation called the set-builder notation. For example, the set of all positive even numbers can be written as {x | x is a positive even number}.

4. What is the significance of equivalence classes in mathematics?

Equivalence classes are important in mathematics because they allow us to group together objects or elements that have similar properties, which helps us to simplify and organize complex mathematical concepts and problems.

5. How are equivalence classes different from equivalence relations?

Equivalence classes and equivalence relations are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. An equivalence relation is a mathematical tool used to define equivalence classes, while an equivalence class is a set of objects or elements that are considered equivalent based on an equivalence relation.