Using the Symbol \Z for Integers in LaTex

In summary: However, if we use the convention that the positive integers include zero, then it makes sense to include 0 in ##\mathbb Z^+##.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What's the best way to use Z as a symbol for the integers on the forum's LaTex?

One source on the web (http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Symbols:Z) says the symbols for the integers can be written in LaTex as backslash Z. On the forum, that currently shows up as the two characters. [itex] \Z [/itex]

That source also say the notation [itex] Z_+ [/itex] is deprecated in favor of [itex] Z_{\ge 0} [/itex]. I approve! I never can remember whether [itex] Z_+ [/itex] includes zero or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe there is some obscure LaTeX package where \Z prints as blackboard bold Z, but not in anyone that I know of. Just use \mathbb Z: [itex]\mathbb Z[/itex].

Maybe somebody defined the macro \Z to do that in their own package of "useful math stuff", and then forgot it was their own definition.

If you don't care about annoying the LaTeX style police, or getting nice error messages if you use it in the wrong context etc, all you need to do is

\def\Z{\mathbb Z}

... and do the same for everything else that you type repeatedly!

EDIT: It's defined in a template file in "Getting up and running with AMS LaTeX", which might be in your system called amshelp.pdf. So I guess it's "sort of official", but not actually in a LxTeX package.

Last edited:
Stephen Tashi said:
What's the best way to use Z as a symbol for the integers on the forum's LaTex?
I use \mathbb Z. ##\mathbb Z##.

Stephen Tashi said:
That source also say the notation [itex] Z_+ [/itex] is deprecated in favor of [itex] Z_{\ge 0} [/itex]. I approve! I never can remember whether [itex] Z_+ [/itex] includes zero or not.
I've been using ##\mathbb Z^+## for the positive integers. Is the plus usually written downstairs?

If we use the convention that the natural numbers ##\mathbb N## includes zero, then it wouldn't make much sense to include 0 in ##\mathbb Z^+##, since we can write ##\mathbb N## when we want to include it.

I would recommend following the standard notation and using the symbol \Z for integers in LaTex on the forum. This is a commonly accepted notation and will be easily understood by other scientists and mathematicians. Additionally, using the notation Z_{\ge 0} instead of Z_+ is a more precise and clear way of representing the non-negative integers. It is always important to use clear and consistent notation in scientific communication to avoid confusion and ensure accuracy.

1. What is the purpose of using the symbol \Z for integers in LaTex?

The symbol \Z is used in LaTex to represent the set of integers, which includes all whole numbers and their negative counterparts.

2. How do I use the \Z symbol in my LaTex document?

To use the \Z symbol in your LaTex document, you simply need to type "\Z" in your code, and it will automatically be converted to the proper symbol when the document is compiled.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the \Z symbol in LaTex?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the \Z symbol by using different font styles or sizes, or by using the appropriate LaTex commands such as \mathbb or \mathcal.

4. Are there any alternative symbols for representing integers in LaTex?

Yes, there are alternative symbols such as \mathbb{Z}, \mathcal{Z}, or \mathfrak{Z} that can also be used to represent integers in LaTex.

5. Is there a specific order or convention for using the \Z symbol in equations?

There is no specific order or convention for using the \Z symbol in equations. However, it is generally placed after the variable or number it is referring to, for example, x \in \Z or 3 \notin \Z.