Compression strength measurement

In summary, the instrument consists of a two compression plates, one is fixed and used as a sample holder, the other plate is manually rorated with the help of screw rod connected to it. The force reading can be read on a electronic display, which display the maximum force applied and hold it until experiment. The instrument seems perfectly fine and easy to use.
eng345
Hello all,

I have to measure the compression strength of a porous ceramic body (d=L=10 mm) using advanced force gauge, mecmesin and don't have any experience with it. The simple procedure, which I followed, was to measure the force at which the sample started to break, divided by the cross section area of the sample. Can anybody explain me if this is the right method to measure the compression strength (Do I have to use the applied force at which first crack appears or I have to take the maximum applied force/continue to apply the force as long as the applied force can increase)? What is the scope of plotting stress-strain diagram for compression strength measurement?

Thanks in advanced

Engineering news on Phys.org
The whole diagram is important. As it tells a lot about the behavior of the tested material.

The first part of the diagram should be a relatively straight line which represents the elastic deformation, then a small to nonexistent (for ceramics) curve to the right for the plastic deformation part and at first crack the force should drop suddenly enough to signal a clear failure (and although you could continue it is not relevant).

Compressive strength is measured in MPa or N/mm2 both being expressions of pressure, so the force divided by surface area is fine.
The usually significant compressive strength is just at the elastic/plastic boundary, in the case of ceramics plastic deformation signals the start of micro cracking and all the catastrophic things associated with it.

Hello Lok,

thanks for your reply. Basically I am chemist and want to make a comparison of crushing strength of catalyst supports. I red about elastic-plastic deformation in my courses, but I am looking if there is a possibility to make a comparison without have stress-strain diagram (for drawing stress-strain diagram, I have to search software/program). I just took a defination of Crushing strength from "Crush-BK",

"The applied force increases until the solid breaks and collapses into small pieces and eventually powder. The corresponding value of the collapsing force is defined as crush strength."

Do you think that without stress-strain diagram, measuring crushing strength is fine.

thanks

eng345 said:
Basically I am chemist and want to make a comparison of crushing strength of catalyst supports. I red about elastic-plastic deformation in my courses, but I am looking if there is a possibility to make a comparison without have stress-strain diagram (for drawing stress-strain diagram, I have to search software/program).
You could try a staple sample like NaCl or something whose crush values you can obtain.
Also, how do you obtain your readings, one value, multiple/distance, gauge, electronically?
eng345 said:
"The applied force increases until the solid breaks and collapses into small pieces and eventually powder. The corresponding value of the collapsing force is defined as crush strength."
In engineering the yield strength is sought after (that is usually the elastic/plastic boundary) as it gives consistent results and is the point at which structural failure takes place. Crushing something to a fine powder seems to me to necessitate more force (at least energy) at some point in the crushing.
Question: Does your Force value differ from breaking into pieces to crushing into a fine powder? (the first should be greater and more consistent as the second one does not seem consistent at all)
eng345 said:
Do you think that without stress-strain diagram, measuring crushing strength is fine.
Being ceramics, their respective plastic deformation part is quite small as they usually break right after elastic deformation. So the value obtained sounds fine. What I am not sure is how much do you travel after first break as this could mean that you can obtain a bigger surface area crushed powder that will need more force to crush further. The Anvils should not travel more that 0.5mm IMHO for a consistent result.

Have fun!

The instrument consists of a two compression plates, one is fixed and used as a sample holder, the other plate is manually rorated with the help of screw rod connected to it. The force reading can be read on a electronic display, which display the maximum force applied and hold it until experiment.
thanks

eng345 said:
The instrument consists of a two compression plates, one is fixed and used as a sample holder, the other plate is manually rorated with the help of screw rod connected to it. The force reading can be read on a electronic display, which display the maximum force applied and hold it until experiment.
thanks

Seems perfectly fine and easy to use. I would say that the values obtained are right. Remember not to go to far with the crushing as barreling could occur at long anvil displacements (the compression plates are sometimes called anvils). This can of course happen only if the anvil tip is larger than 10x10mm.
A small description of the barreling phenomenon is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_strength#Deviation_of_engineering_stress_from_true_stress

Thanks for your reply
have a nice day

1. What is compression strength measurement?

Compression strength measurement is a process used to determine the maximum amount of pressure that a material can withstand before breaking or deforming. It is an important test for materials like concrete, wood, and metal to ensure their structural integrity.

2. How is compression strength measured?

Compression strength is typically measured by applying a compressive force to a sample of the material and recording the amount of force needed to cause it to fail. This can be done using specialized equipment like a compression testing machine.

3. What are the units of measurement for compression strength?

The units of measurement for compression strength are typically pounds per square inch (PSI) or megapascals (MPa). These units represent the amount of force per unit area that a material can withstand before failure.

4. Why is compression strength important in construction?

Compression strength is important in construction because it determines the load-bearing capacity of materials. Knowing the compression strength of a material allows engineers to design structures that can safely support the weight and forces they will be subjected to.

5. How is compression strength used in quality control?

Compression strength is an important factor in quality control for materials used in construction, manufacturing, and other industries. By testing the compression strength of a sample, manufacturers can ensure that their products meet certain standards and will perform as expected under specified conditions.