Chickens prefer beautiful humans, study finds

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, a study published in the peer-reviewed journal Human Nature in 2002 found that chickens showed a preference for human faces consistent with human sexual preferences. The study suggests that these preferences are based on general properties of nervous systems rather than face-specific adaptations. The full text of the study can be found on the homepage of one of the authors, Stefano Ghirlanda. While some may question the significance of this research, it has practical applications such as using chickens to judge beauty pageants or predict audience appeal for films. Another paper by Ghirlanda suggests that behavior in interactions often occurs outside the scope of game theory analysis and can lead to non-adaptive and irrational reactions. In summary, chickens may have a role in understanding
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This was published in a peer reviewed journal---Human Nature---in 2002.

the abstract is here:

http://www.intercult.su.se/cgi-bin/public?action=search&text=ghirlanda

Chickens prefer beautiful humans
Ghirlanda, Stefano and Jansson, Liselotte and Enquist, Magnus
Human Nature 13, 383-389 (2002)
Abstract: We trained chickens to react to an average human female face but not to an average male face (or vice-versa). In a subsequent test, the animals showed preferences for faces consistent with human sexual preferences (obtained from university students). This suggests that human preferences arise from general properties of nervous systems, rather than from face-specific adaptations. We discuss this result in the light of current debate on the meaning of sexual signals, and suggest further tests of existing hypotheses about the origin of sexual preferences.
Download: PDF (109 KB)

the full text PDF link is

http://www.intercult.su.se/refweb/ghir02/ChickenFace.pdf

It looks to me like legitimate research, and certainly passed peer-review. Here is a homepage for one of the authors, Stefano Ghirlanda:
http://www.intercult.su.se/%7Estefano/

a general source for such things:
http://www.improbable.com/ig/ig-pastwinners.html

Thanks to ZapperZ for calling attention to the Igs.
They can sometimes seem just as interesting as the Nobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Just because it's peer-reviewed doesn't mean it's high impact. :biggrin: This is the sort of study that provides good support that as long as you use sound methodology, no matter how bizarre your question, there is a journal you can find to publish it in. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Just because it's peer-reviewed doesn't mean it's high impact. :biggrin: This is the sort of study that provides good support that as long as you use sound methodology, no matter how bizarre your question, there is a journal you can find to publish it in. :rofl:

But this has important practical applications. Chickens are already being recruited to judge the Miss America contest.

Hollywood is studying the next step which is to use them to preview films and predict mass audience appeal.

Moonbear said:

And if not, good old main stream media will do it!

marcus said:
But this has important practical applications. Chickens are already being recruited to judge the Miss America contest.

Hollywood is studying the next step which is to use them to preview films and predict mass audience appeal.
Perhaps chickens could judge that gawd awful American Idol tv show. I cannot believe people watch that. Maybe that would be considered cruelty to animals though.

Last edited:
Here's an abstract of another paper by Ghirlanda:

"Spectacular phenomena and limits to rationality in genetic and cultural evolutionEnquist, M. and Arak, A. and Ghirlanda, S. and Wachtmeister, C-A.Philosophical transaction of the royal society London B. 357, 1585-1594 (2002)Abstract: In studies of both animal and human behaviour, game theory is used as a tool for understanding strategies that appear in interactions between individuals. Game theory focuses on adaptive behaviour, which can be attained only at evolutionary equilibrium. Here we suggest that behaviour appearing during interactions is often outside the scope of such analysis. In many types of interaction, conflicts of interest exist between players, fueling the evolution of manipulative strategies. Such strategies evolve out of equilibrium, commonly appearing as spectacular morphology or behaviour with obscure meaning, to which other players may react in non-adaptive, irrational ways. We present a simple model to show some limitations of the game theory approach, and outline the conditions in which evolutionary equilibria cannot be maintained. Evidence from studies of biological interactions seems to support the view that behaviour is often not at equilibrium. This also appears to be the case for many human cultural traits, which have spread rapidly despite the fact that they have a negative influence on reproduction."

I wonder if the chicken paper isn't explained by this:

"In many types of interaction, conflicts of interest exist between players, fueling the evolution of manipulative strategies. Such strategies evolve out of equilibrium, commonly appearing as spectacular morphology or behaviour with obscure meaning, to which other players may react in non-adaptive, irrational ways."

In a recent study I performed I found that I prefer big chunky chicken :biggrin:

cronxeh said:
In a recent study I performed I found that I prefer big chunky chicken :biggrin:
Untill I see the peer review I'm going to assume you faked your results.

1. What is the study about?

The study is about chickens' preference for beautiful humans, specifically in terms of their behavior and reactions towards them.

2. How was the study conducted?

The study was conducted by exposing chickens to different images of human faces, ranging from attractive to unattractive, and observing their reactions through their behavior towards the images.

3. What were the results of the study?

The results showed that chickens displayed a clear preference for attractive human faces, exhibiting more positive behaviors and reactions towards them compared to unattractive faces.

4. What could be the possible reasons for this phenomenon?

One possible reason could be that chickens, like many other animals, have an innate preference for visually appealing stimuli. It could also be due to the fact that attractive humans are perceived as more friendly and approachable, which could make chickens feel more comfortable and secure around them.

5. How can this study be beneficial?

This study can help us better understand the behavior and preferences of animals, specifically in relation to human interactions. It could also have potential implications in the fields of animal welfare and animal-assisted therapy.