Solving a cubic (or rather simplifying a real root in complex form)

In summary, the conversation discusses the determinant of a 3x3 matrix, which simplifies to a cubic equation. The teacher used random numbers for the matrix, making it unsolvable by factoring methods. Cardano's method is then introduced as a way to solve such cubics, and an example is shown. However, the resulting expression may not be able to be simplified further.
AlterWolfie
The determinate of the following 3x3 matrix

1-y, 2 , 3
2 , 4-y, 5
3 , 5 , 7-y

gives a cubic that simplifies to,

y^3 - 12*y^2 + y + 1 = 0.

Now, apparently the teacher picked random numbers for the original matrix, making the problem delve into other realms of mathematics. It isn't solvable by factoring methods, but using Cardano's method...
Letting,

y = x +4,

the cubic becomes,

(x + 4)^3 - 12*(x + 4)^2 + (x + 4) + 1 = 0.

This simplifies to,

x^3 - 47*x -123 = 0,

which is in the form

x^3 + b*x + c = 0.

To solve a cubic like this, b and c are just plugged into the following formula,

x = ( -(c/2) + ((c/2)^1/2 + (b/3)^1/3)^1/2)^1/3 + (-(c/2) - ((c/2)^1/2 + (b/3)^1/3)^1/2)^1/3,

which for my cubic comes out...

x = ((123/2) + (-6809/108)^1/2)^1/3 + ((123/2) - (-6809/108)^1/2)^1/3.

This is a real root, but I have no idea how to simplify it, ridding it of the complex parts.
Sorry to show all the lead up, it really wasn't needed for the simplification, but since the rules say to show what you have done... I did.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There exist real numbers that can only be expressed in terms of radicals by taking a detour through the complex numbers -- it may not be possible to simplify this expression.

1. How do I solve a cubic equation?

Solving a cubic equation involves finding the roots or solutions to the equation. This can be done using various methods such as factoring, the cubic formula, or numerical methods like Newton's method.

2. What is the cubic formula?

The cubic formula is a method for finding the roots of a cubic equation in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0. It involves using complex numbers and can be quite complex and tedious, which is why other methods are often preferred.

3. Can a cubic equation have more than three roots?

No, a cubic equation can only have up to three distinct roots. However, some of these roots may be repeated, which is known as a multiplicity. In this case, the equation would still have three roots, but some may have the same value.

4. How do I simplify a real root in complex form?

To simplify a real root in complex form, you need to express it in terms of its real and imaginary parts. This can be done by using the properties of complex numbers and simplifying any radicals or exponents that may be present.

5. What is the significance of solving a cubic equation?

Solving a cubic equation has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the roots or solutions to real-world problems and make predictions or decisions based on these solutions.