Pendulum swing -basic trig problems

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the difference in height of a pendulum at rest and when it swings to 45 degrees using basic trigonometry. The length of the string is 1m and the right triangle is formed by drawing a horizontal line from the swinging end of the pendulum to the vertical line through the top of the pendulum. The formula used is L-Lcos45 = L(1-cos45) and the length of the vertical is calculated using the hypotenuse and the angle. The conversation also clarifies that the hypotenuse is always 1m and the other sides are L sin45 and L cos 45. It is suggested to draw a separate figure to avoid confusion. The conversation concludes by explaining
mujadeo
pendulum swing --basic trig problems

Homework Statement

lets say you have a pendulum swinging.
the length of string is 1m
it swings to the right so that the angle is 45deg.
i want to find difference in height from when it is at rest to its new position at 45deg.

How do i do this, trigonomically speaking i mean?

i mean, where is the right triangle?

Homework Equations

not exactly a homework prob, but related to everything in homework

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i forgot sum basic trig, cause i can't figure out where the right angle triangle is to get my lengths from/?

Physics news on Phys.org
The string of the pendulum is the hypoteneuse. Draw a vertical line through the top of the pendulum (like when the pendulum is at rest)... now draw a horizontal line from the swinging end of the pendulum to this vertical line. do you see the right triangle now?

but if i do that, then vertical line is no longer 1m??

because when it swings it is higher than it was at rest

book says to go something like L-Lcos45 = L(1-cos45)
i don't undetsand why they say that, because when i apply basic trig (cos45 = adj/hyp) i get a totally differnt number than book

??

mujadeo said:
because when it swings it is higher than it was at rest

Yes. The hypoteneuse is always 1m. But the vertical line changes length. You can calculate the length of the vertical using the hypoteneuse and the angle.

so even though the right triangle cuts off the hypotenuse, i should still use hyp as 1m

mujadeo said:
book says to go something like L-Lcos45 = L(1-cos45)
i don't undetsand why they say that, because when i apply basic trig (cos45 = adj/hyp) i get a totally differnt number than book

??

They're taking the difference. Originally the length of the vertical is L... then later the length of the vertical is Lcos45. So the difference in height is L - Lcos 45

pleae allow the dumb question
--what is Lcos45 derive from?
i can't match it up to SOHCAHTOA?

mujadeo said:
so even though the right triangle cuts off the hypotenuse, i should still use hyp as 1m

I'm not sure what you mean by cuts off the hypoteneuse... the pendulum is always the same length... and the string of the pendulum forms the hypoteneuse...

mujadeo said:

At the 45 degrees position, the hypothenuse is no longer vertical! The hypothenuse is along the string and is 1 meter long. The two other sides (horizontal and vertical) are of course smaller than 1 meter. they are of course L sin45 and L cos 45, respectively.

Ithink that you are still drawing the position of the string when it is at zero degree and this creates confusion. It might be better to draw on a separate figure, next to the first one, the position of the string when the object is at the lowets position. It should be clear that the difference of height is L - L cos 45.

mujadeo said:
pleae allow the dumb question
--what is Lcos45 derive from?
i can't match it up to SOHCAHTOA?

The hypoteneuse has length L... the adjacent is the vertical.

adj/hypoteneuse = cos 45

adj/L = cos 45

adj = Lcos 45

thanks you
understand now

1. What is a pendulum swing?

A pendulum swing is the movement of a weight suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. The weight moves back and forth in a regular pattern due to the force of gravity.

2. How is the period of a pendulum swing calculated?

The period of a pendulum swing is calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period (time for one swing), L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period?

The length of a pendulum and its period are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the period also increases, and vice versa.

4. How does trigonometry play a role in pendulum swing problems?

Trigonometry is used to solve pendulum swing problems involving angles and sides of triangles formed by the pendulum's swing. The sine, cosine, and tangent functions are particularly useful in these calculations.

5. Can the pendulum equation be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the pendulum equation can be applied to real-life situations, such as the movement of a grandfather clock or the swinging of a playground swing. It is also used in fields such as engineering and physics to study the motion of objects.