Creating a Faraday's Cage With a Slinky

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a metallic Slinky instead of a metallic mesh to create a Faraday's cage. It is mentioned that this may not work well due to inductive properties, and it is suggested to use two Slinkys welded together or a thicker mesh for better results. The individual asking the question clarifies that they only need to block radio and sound waves, not expand or contract the cage. The possibility of using tin foil or mesh for the cage is also discussed, with the recommendation to use shim brass for better electrical contact. It is noted that using aluminum foil is not an effective option.
shirel
Hi,

I've wondered if there is a possibility to create a Faraday's cage with a metallic Slinky instead of using a metallic mesh?

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
shirel said:
Hi,

I've wondered if there is a possibility to create a Faraday's cage with a metallic Slinky instead of using a metallic mesh?

Thanks in advanced.

Depending on the application, it probably will not work very well. It will be inductive above some frequency, based on its dimensions. If you could do 2 Slinkys and weld them at each crossing, that would be better. But that's close to the mesh. Are you trying to make a Faraday cage that can expand and contract significantly?

Thank you.
Actually, expanding and contracting aren't my intention. I just need to use a slinky in order to block radio waves/sound waves, which are coming out of a tape recorder.

shirel said:
Thank you.
Actually, expanding and contracting aren't my intention. I just need to use a slinky in order to block radio waves/sound waves, which are coming out of a tape recorder.

Probably not going to work very well. Why a Slinky? Is it all you have in your dorm room or something? :-)

berkeman said:
Probably not going to work very well. Why a Slinky? Is it all you have in your dorm room or something? :-)

haha no :tongue2:

I'm just trying to use a slinky, since I want it to be also a part of an electromagnet.

shirel said:
haha no :tongue2:

I'm just trying to use a slinky, since I want it to be also a part of an electromagnet.

I hope you're not going to try and use to electromagnet at the same time as you use the cage... Because that would just be taking one step foward and two steps back...

I'm not sure of the spacing between the mesh, but it would probably be possible to knock holes in tin foil, unless you needed it to be more robust, then I suppose you could use thick metal? If you use tin foil of course it would be disposable so no worrying about spacing as you can just adjust the dimensions. Or I suppose you could just buy some mesh to order.

Thank you The Dagda, I'll consider it.
randeezy, why do you say it is taking one step forward and two steps back?

shirel said:
Thank you The Dagda, I'll consider it.
randeezy, why do you say it is taking one step forward and two steps back?

I think randeezy was referring to your desire to shield, but then to introduce noise. You probably have your reasons, but it does sound a bit strange on the face of it.

BTW, Aluminum foil is lousy for shielding material. There is no good way to make electrical contact, either from it to ground, or between edges or multiple pieces of Al foil. To make a good Faraday cage, you need good electrical contact between all sides/surfaces of the enclosure. You can't weld or solder edges of Al foil together, and there is a coating on it apparently that makes pressure contacts not work reliably.

A much better choice if you want to solder up a good cage, is Shim Brass. You can get it at the hardware store in various thicknesses, and it's easy to cut with tin snips into the shapes that you can then solder the seams on, to form a good shield structure.

What is a Faraday's Cage and how does it work?

A Faraday's Cage is an enclosure made of conductive material that blocks external electric fields. It works by redistributing the electric charge on its surface, canceling out the electric field inside the cage.

Why would someone want to create a Faraday's Cage with a Slinky?

A Slinky is made of tightly wound metal coils, making it a good conductor of electricity. This makes it a convenient and inexpensive material to use for creating a Faraday's Cage for experiments or demonstrations.

What materials are needed to create a Faraday's Cage with a Slinky?

To create a Faraday's Cage with a Slinky, you will need a Slinky, a conductive material (such as aluminum foil or metal mesh), and a non-conductive frame (such as a cardboard box or wooden frame).

How do you create a Faraday's Cage with a Slinky?

To create a Faraday's Cage with a Slinky, first wrap the Slinky around the non-conductive frame, leaving some space for the frame to be covered with the conductive material. Next, wrap the frame with the conductive material, making sure it is completely covered. Finally, connect the conductive material to a ground source to ensure the cage is fully grounded.

What are some practical applications of a Faraday's Cage with a Slinky?

A Faraday's Cage with a Slinky can be used for experiments or demonstrations involving electric fields, such as showing the effects of lightning or protecting sensitive electronic devices from electromagnetic interference. It can also be used in radio frequency shielding for communication devices or to protect against electromagnetic pulses from sources such as nuclear explosions.