Check that z^a is holomorphic on C\{0}

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the holomorphicity of the function z^a on \mathbb{C}\setminus\{0\}, where a \in \mathbb{C}. It is determined that z^a is not holomorphic unless a is an integer, and the concept of branch cuts is introduced to explain this. The use of Cauchy Riemann equations is suggested to prove the holomorphicity of z^a on a specific region, and the conversation also touches on the topological reasons for this. The setup of the Cauchy Riemann equations is deemed correct.
latentcorpse
i need to check [itex]z^a[/itex] is holomorphic on [itex]\mathbb{C} \backslash \{0\}, a \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] but am having difficulty arranging it into a form that i can use the Cauchy Riemann equations on. so far is have:

[itex]z^a=e^{a \ln{z}}=e^{a \ln{|z|}}e^{i arg(z)}[/itex]
which when i break up the second exponential gives

[itex]z^a=e^{a \ln{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}} \cos{\arctan{(\frac{y}{x})}}+i e^{a \ln{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}} \sin{\arctan{(\frac{y}{x})}}[/itex]

so if i let [itex]z=u(x,y)+i v(x,y)[/itex] we get

[itex]u(x,y)=e^{a \ln{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}} \cos{\arctan{(\frac{y}{x})}}[/itex]
[itex]v(x,y)=e^{a \ln{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}}} \sin{\arctan{(\frac{y}{x})}}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Unless you allow multi-values functions, [tex]z^a[/tex] is not holomorphic on [tex]\mathbb{C}\setminus\{0\}[/tex] for [tex]a\notin \mathbb{Z}[/tex], but only on [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] minus a branch cut (e.g. along the negative real axis). To prove that [tex]z^a[/tex] is holomorphic on this region, use the fact that exp, log are holomorphic and that compositions of holomorphic functions are holomorphic.

ok. is this possible using the Cauchy Riemann equations though?

also can you talk me throught the branch cut here:

we have [itex]z=re^{i \theta}[/itex]
so [itex]z^a=r^a e^{i a \theta[/itex]

so if we change [itex]\theta[/itex] by [itex]2 \pi[/itex] we have the same value of z corresponding to more than one value of [itex]z^a[/itex] (i.e. a multifunction). This means there are different branches corresponding to the different values the function can take for the same z.
what do you mean by "take a branch cut along the negative real axis"?

latentcorpse said:
ok. is this possible using the Cauchy Riemann equations though?

It should be. Compute the partial derivates of exp, log (inverse function theorem) and apply the chain rule to exp(a log(z)).

also can you talk me throught the branch cut here:

we have [itex]z=re^{i \theta}[/itex]
so [itex]z^a=r^a e^{i a \theta[/itex]

so if we change [itex]\theta[/itex] by [itex]2 \pi[/itex] we have the same value of z corresponding to more than one value of [itex]z^a[/itex] (i.e. a multifunction). This means there are different branches corresponding to the different values the function can take for the same z.
what do you mean by "take a branch cut along the negative real axis"?

Consider the set [tex]\mathbb{C}_-=\mathbb{C}\setminus\{x\in\mathbb{R}:x\le 0\}[/tex]. Then [tex]z^a=e^{a\log(z)}[/tex], taking the principal value of log, is single-valued holomorphic function on [tex]\mathbb{C}_-[/tex]. The function "jumps" when crossing the negative real axis, so it can not be extended to a holomorphic function on [tex]\mathbb{C}\setminus 0[/tex].
The deeper topological reason is that [tex]\mathbb{C}_-[/tex] is simply connected (all loops in it can be contracted to a point), while [tex]\mathbb{C}\setminus 0[/tex] is not. If you want to know more about this, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monodromy_theorem" .

Last edited by a moderator:

i see that if we take the principal argument of z and hence the proncipal value of log it does indeed jump as you cross the negative real axis - why does this mean it can't be extended to a holomorphic function on C\0?

also did i set up the cauchy riemann bit ok in my first post?

latentcorpse said:
i see that if we take the principal argument of z and hence the proncipal value of log it does indeed jump as you cross the negative real axis - why does this mean it can't be extended to a holomorphic function on C\0?

Holomorphic means in particular continuous. No matter how the values on the negative real axis are defined, there will always be a discontinuity. See also the discussion on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_logarithm" .

also did i set up the cauchy riemann bit ok in my first post?

Looks correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

What does it mean for a function to be holomorphic?

In complex analysis, a function is said to be holomorphic if it is complex differentiable at every point in its domain. This means that at each point, the function has a well-defined complex derivative. In simpler terms, a holomorphic function is one that is smooth and has no sharp edges or corners.

Why is it important to check if z^a is holomorphic on C\{0}?

A function being holomorphic on a certain set, in this case C\{0}, means that it has certain properties that make it useful for various applications in mathematics and physics. For example, if a function is holomorphic, it can be expressed as a power series, which allows for easier calculations and analysis.

How can I check if z^a is holomorphic on C\{0}?

To check if a function is holomorphic on a given set, we need to verify that it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations. For the function z^a, this involves taking partial derivatives of both the real and imaginary parts of the function and checking if they satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations. If they do, then the function is holomorphic on the given set.

What happens if z^a is not holomorphic on C\{0}?

If z^a is not holomorphic on C\{0}, it means that the function is not complex differentiable at some points in its domain. This could be due to sharp edges or corners in the function, which would make it difficult to define a unique complex derivative at those points. In this case, the function may still have some properties that make it useful, but it would not be considered holomorphic.

Are there any other conditions that need to be checked besides holomorphicity for z^a on C\{0}?

Yes, in addition to being holomorphic, a function must also be continuous on its given domain to be considered well-behaved. This means that the function should have no jumps or breaks in its graph. For z^a, this means that it must be continuous on C\{0}, as well as holomorphic, to be considered a valid function.