What is the most approachable book for understanding electromagnetism?

In summary, the recommended book for understanding electromagnetism and its workings is the Feynman Lectures, specifically volume 2. However, the level of complexity may depend on the reader's math background.
rory888
i am looking for an interesting book that explains electromagnetism and the actual science behind it and how it works. i do not know much about this subject so the book can't be to complicated.

Physics news on Phys.org
rory888 said:
i am looking for an interesting book that explains electromagnetism and the actual science behind it and how it works. i do not know much about this subject so the book can't be to complicated.

I'd recommend the Feynman lectures.

It depends on your math background.

Feynman Lectures volume 2 is good. He develops the math in a physical and intuitive way. But it still may be too much if you are not prepared for it.

Last edited:

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about electromagnetism?

The best book for beginners to learn about electromagnetism is "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths. It provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand introduction to the fundamental concepts of electromagnetism.

2. Which book provides a more advanced understanding of electromagnetism?

"Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson is considered the go-to book for more advanced concepts in electromagnetism. It covers a wide range of topics and is often used as a textbook in graduate level courses.

3. Is there a book that combines theory and practical applications of electromagnetism?

"Electromagnetic Field Theory Fundamentals" by Bhag Singh Guru and Hüseyin R. Hiziroglu is a great resource for both theory and practical applications of electromagnetism. It includes numerous examples and problems to help readers apply their knowledge.

4. What is the best book for self-study in electromagnetism?

"Electromagnetics for Engineers" by Fawwaz T. Ulaby and Umberto Ravaioli is a highly recommended book for self-study. It is written in a clear and concise manner, with many examples and exercises to help readers grasp the concepts.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a book on electromagnetism?

Yes, there are many online resources such as interactive simulations, lecture notes, and video lectures that can supplement a book on electromagnetism. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and HyperPhysics.