Is the iPod functionality in iOS 7 too simplified and difficult to use?

In summary: Phone 6S Plus, and Android). It's difficult to see buttons and links, and it's frustrating to have to constantly reposition your hand to hit the back button. Additionally, the new iOS7 looks are not my favorite. The buttons and icons are too simple and not as clear as they used to be.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I seldom review new electronics and new OS, but this one got to me. Please note that I'm not a rabid fan of anything. I have Macs, Windows, Android phone, and Apple iPads. I use them all. But I did like the IoS interface, which I found very intuitive and very easy to see, especially with my eyesight.

I updated my iPad (3rd Generation) to iOS 7 last night. I have been playing with it for a while and trying to get used to the different ways of doing the things I normally do.

I'm still not liking the new look, but this is more of a personal preference and probably because I'm not used to it. The "simplistic" or minimalist look doesn't do it to me, and it looks more primitive than the previous look. Still, there are a couple of annoying features here that I may not get used to:

1. Safari. The Forward and Backwards button are still on the left side of the top of the browser window, but why did they more the Bookmarks button to the right? It used to be everything was on the left side. You can navigate rather easily and quickly. Move forward, backwards, and go to a different website on your bookmarks doesn't require a lot of moment of your finger. They were all there. Now, you have to move across the page since the bookmark is on the other side! I don't know if this can be customized to change its location.

2. Multitasking. When you swipe upwards with 3 of 4 fingers, you'll see all the active apps. It used to be that you can close apps by just taping on the "x" attached to each icon. Now, you have to do a bit more by swiping the mini window of the app upwards. Here's the thing: tapping is a lot easier and requires less of an effort than swiping up. If you don't do it fast enough, the window/app doesn't close!

3. Difficult to see. The new look of the buttons and the control panel use thin black lines on either white, grey, or semi-transparent background. They do not look as clear and distinct as the old interface. Were these designed by and for youngsters who have 20/20 eyesight?

I'm just afraid that this minimalism concept has been taken a bit too far for an interface. Unfortunately, other apps are following along. Evernote new update follows the same minimalistic style of iOS 7, and I have trouble not only finding stuff, but see the buttons clearly after I found them, especially in dim lights when the display automatically dims down.

Oy vey.

Zz.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have yet to upgrade for my iPhone. It's really a love/hate situation it seems. I've talk to a few friends that love it and I've seem plenty of hate on my facebook feed. Come back in a few weeks and tell us how you feel. It will be interesting if these issues are just adjustments or real problems. I'm in no rush to update. I figure it's best to wait for one more update as there will be a few fixes in store soon.

My iPad is installing as we speak. Interested to a see what it is like...

I just updated and it's a little different. There are a few things to adjust, but overall I don't find it much different to use. Not better, not worse. Carry on.

I updated my phone to iOS7 about a week ago, and honestly, I like it a lot.
Yeah there are a few things that have changed and will take some time to get used to. For example when closing out of apps, the swipe upward is somewhat unreliable. It will sometimes show the next app if you don't swipe perfectly upwards. But, I'm sure I will get used to it. In my opinion, the overall look is way better than iOS. There is a reason why a lot of interfaces are going in that direction. It's more intuitive and easy to use, while looking good. Ios7 is going to be the norm in a couple of months so I don't see why people hate. It just takes time to get used to it.

On the iPad, there are still annoying traits that I still can't overlook or get used to, even after using it for a while. To be fair, it has more to do with layouts, with the new safari being the worst. I still do not understand why the moved the bookmark button to the other side. And what length of the bookmark listing is inconsistent.

Maybe it's time to switch to another browser.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Maybe it's time to switch to another browser.

My experience has been that mobile Safari is one of the worst browsers out there. (I have an iPad 1.)

I don't think there's much you can do though, since if I recall correctly Apple only let's you use the Safari WebKit implementation in browser apps. I may be wrong here though.

I actually enjoy iOS 7 on my iPhone. I don't use Safari browser, I never really cared for it, but I've been using Google browser for months, not chrome.

I agree about the home swiping, but I've gotten used to it over the course of the few weeks.

One of my favorite features is kind of hidden. If you go to the compass app a and swipe right, there is a built in level app which is neat to play with.

I also noticed that the clock is actually in sync with the time. :D If you look at the clock app closely, you can see the hand move.

Actually, it is a bit confusion when switching to iOS7. But now, I am pretty get used to it. Much lighter and comfortable.

iOS iPod Application is a joke?

I think the iPod functionality in iOS 7 is terrible. The application is way too simplified that its just difficult to use. Take for example shuffling songs of a specific genre. This sounds like it should be the top thing to have available, instead you have to actually type your genre in the search field then go to it's playlist and then press a tiny shuffle icon.

Here's issue number two! Playlists are impossible to edit. Okay so you just made your playlist and your listening to a song thinking to yourself 'wow should definitely put this one in that list' oh but i can't do it on this screen i have to actually go to the playlist and jump through 10 hoops.

Does anyone agree with this?

1. What are the major changes in iOS 7 compared to previous versions?

The major changes in iOS 7 include a new design with flatter icons and a cleaner, more modern look. It also introduced a new Control Center for easy access to frequently used settings, improved multitasking capabilities, and a revamped camera app with new filters and features.

2. Is iOS 7 compatible with older devices?

iOS 7 is compatible with iPhone 4 and newer, iPad 2 and newer, and the 5th generation iPod touch. However, some features may not be available on older devices due to hardware limitations.

3. How has the security and privacy features been improved in iOS 7?

iOS 7 introduced a new feature called "Activation Lock" which prevents unauthorized access to your device in case it is lost or stolen. It also strengthened encryption for data protection and allows users to control which apps have access to their personal information.

4. Are there any new features for developers in iOS 7?

Yes, iOS 7 introduced a new programming language called Swift, which makes it easier and faster for developers to create apps. It also added support for 64-bit architecture, allowing for more powerful and efficient apps.

5. How has the overall performance of iOS 7 improved?

iOS 7 has significantly improved performance compared to previous versions. The new operating system is faster, more responsive, and has better battery life. It also includes new features like AirDrop for quick file sharing between devices.