Possible trajectories under central force and

In summary, the conversation discusses motion under central force and the possibility of a specific trajectory. It is determined that the trajectory is possible if the force source is repulsive and that the angular momentum and energy are conserved in this type of motion. It is also mentioned that the direction of angular momentum changes as the particle moves along the orbit. The conversation ends with a question about the direction of angular momentum and the confirmation that the described scenario is correct.
wormhole
Hi
we just studied motion under central force.
we got the following question...
is this possible trajectory(see attachment) under central force and force source is outside the loop?
(my answer is that it is possible if force source is repulsive)
whatever the answer is how can i explain it using physical arguments ?

Attachments

• traj.JPG
    traj.JPG
    2.2 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
What quantities are conserved in motion about a central force?

i know that one of the angular momentum vector components is conserved so the entire motion is in the plane(perpendicular to that component)

also usual energy is conserved...

wormhole said:
i know that one of the angular momentum vector components is conserved so the entire motion is in the plane(perpendicular to that component)

Good, now what happens to the angular momentum as you move along that orbit? You don't need numbers, just imagine putting the central force somewhere outside that loop and think about how the velocity would have to change in order to maintain the angular momentum. What is an expression for the instantaneous angular momentum relative to the central body?

i already know that i was wrong...
this trajectory is not possible under central force

but i don't see how can i say that by the picture.

wormhole said:
i already know that i was wrong...
this trajectory is not possible under central force
but i don't see how can i say that by the picture.

I think Space Tiger just told you.

think about how the velocity would have to change in order to maintain the angular momentum.

[tex]
L=rmv\sin(\alpha)
[/tex]

so if one wants to maintain L constant then if r increases then [itex]v\sin(\alpha)[/itex] decreases and if r closer to force center the [itex]v\sin(\alpha)[/itex] is larger.
i don't see any contradiction to this on the picture(or maybe the direction of L is what matters?)
when particle is moving from (a) -> (b) its r vector becomes shorter and v increases and vica versa when it moves from (c) -> (d)

by the way, what exactly makes such a trajectory impossible under central force? is it because two lines cross each other?

Attachments

• traj1.JPG
    traj1.JPG
    2.5 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
wormhole said:
[tex]
(or maybe the direction of L is what matters?)

Follow up on this. If Earth were going the other way around the sun, would it have the same angular momentum? Is angular momentum a vector or a scalar?

ok...
so at when particle moves from (a) to (b) its velocity vector point to left while when particle moves from (c) to (d) its velocity vector points to right.
so according to right-hand rule [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] changes direction...

right?

wormhole said:
ok...
so at when particle moves from (a) to (b) its velocity vector point to left while when particle moves from (c) to (d) its velocity vector points to right.
so according to right-hand rule [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] changes direction...
right?

Well, I can't see the attachment, but from your description, it sounds right.

thanks a lot:)

What is a central force?

A central force is a type of force that acts on an object towards a fixed point, known as the center of force. Examples of central forces include gravity and electrostatic forces.

How do you calculate possible trajectories under central force?

The possible trajectories under central force can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation. These equations can be used to determine the path of an object under the influence of a central force.

What factors affect the trajectory of an object under central force?

The trajectory of an object under central force can be affected by various factors such as the strength of the central force, the mass of the object, and the initial velocity and direction of the object. The presence of other external forces can also influence the trajectory.

Can an object have multiple possible trajectories under central force?

Yes, an object can have multiple possible trajectories under central force. This can occur when the object has a high enough initial velocity to escape the influence of the central force, or when there are multiple central forces acting on the object, resulting in different possible paths.

How does central force affect orbital motion?

Central force plays a crucial role in determining the path of objects in orbital motion, such as planets orbiting around a star. The strength of the central force and the mass of the objects involved determine the shape and stability of the orbit.