'condensed matter nuclear science"

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about a session at the March Meetings that was considered boring and uninteresting. The session featured speakers from BP Petroleum and the Department of Energy, and the highlight of the session was when a rude person invited the speaker to a "condensed matter nuclear science" session. The conversation also touched on the topic of "cold fusion" and whether the APS sets aside sessions for fringe science talks. The summary concludes that the APS does not do this, but there will be a session on "cold fusion" due to demands from fringe scientists.
rachmaninoff
[SOLVED] 'condensed matter nuclear science"

Anyone else visit session T50 this evening? I thought it was a bit of a dud. Steve Koonin (Caltech provost & representative of BP petroluem) gave the economists' version of the future of energy, complete with unreadable Excel charts and all. Patricia Dehmer (DOE) was far more boring, I left after about four minutes of "...and the co-chairs of the Basic Energy Research Perspectives Committee were..." :frown: I thought the high point of the session was when the very brusque person derailed Koonin's question session to invite him to "Condensed matter nuclear science" session (his words) to hear about their fascinating latest developments! (session W41). Apparently the name "cold fusion" has gone through as many evolutionary twists as "creation science". :uhh:

Anyone needing comic relief tomorrow, look at session W41 "cold fusion"!

:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
That reminds me, a grad student recently told me that the APS sets aside sessions for crackpot talks, so that everyone else knows how to stay clear of them - is this accurate?

I so badly miss the March Meetings... there was never a dull moment.

And no, the APS don't do stuff like that. But the "cold fusion" session due to demands from fringe science to have their fleeting day in the sun.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
And no, the APS don't do stuff like that. But the "cold fusion" session due to demands from fringe science to have their fleeting day in the sun.
A day they get? :rolleyes:

1. What is condensed matter nuclear science?

Condensed matter nuclear science, also known as low energy nuclear reactions (LENR) or cold fusion, is a field of research that investigates nuclear reactions occurring at low temperatures and pressures, typically in solid materials. These reactions are not well understood and are often considered controversial, but they have the potential to provide a clean and virtually limitless source of energy.

2. How do condensed matter nuclear reactions differ from traditional nuclear reactions?

In traditional nuclear reactions, high temperatures and pressures are required to overcome the Coulomb barrier (the electrostatic repulsion between positively charged nuclei) and induce fusion reactions. In condensed matter nuclear reactions, however, these reactions occur at much lower temperatures and pressures, making them more accessible and potentially more efficient.

3. What are some potential applications of condensed matter nuclear science?

One potential application of condensed matter nuclear science is in the development of clean and sustainable energy sources. If successful, it could provide a safe and abundant source of energy without the production of greenhouse gases or the generation of nuclear waste. Other potential applications include isotope production for medical and industrial use, transmutation of radioactive waste, and advancements in materials science.

4. What evidence supports the existence of condensed matter nuclear reactions?

There have been numerous experimental studies that have observed excess heat, nuclear products, and other anomalous effects that cannot be explained by traditional chemical reactions. Additionally, there have been theoretical models and simulations that suggest the possibility of low energy nuclear reactions. However, the lack of a comprehensive theory and reproducible experiments make this field still highly debated and controversial.

5. What challenges does condensed matter nuclear science face?

One of the main challenges facing this field is the reproducibility of experiments. Many researchers have reported positive results, but they have not been able to consistently reproduce these results in subsequent experiments. Additionally, there is a lack of a comprehensive theory that can explain and predict the observed phenomena. This makes it difficult to design experiments and advance the field. Funding and public perception are also challenges, as the field is still considered controversial by many and has faced skepticism from the scientific community.

Back