Dad sells daughter's friendship on ebay.

• Thread starter kaos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a strange ad that was posted on eBay for a "cyber friendship" on MySpace and the controversy surrounding it. There were also mentions of other bizarre items being sold on the internet, such as a man trading up from a red paperclip to a house. The conversation also touches on the issue of social status based on number of online friends and the potential dangers of online transactions.
Physics news on Phys.org
Are souls still for sale? I put a bid on one once (to use as a spare, if I needed to do something devious). I was outbid by an Irish guy named Angel O'Darkness.

I heard that got taken down shortly after it was posted. The feds are also looking into things. Not good.

kaos said:
Check it out at http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=3990694 :yuck: yuck smiley got into url link

What other weird stuff are they going to sell next.
That the add was up for a month before it got pulled, and that people actually bid on it rather than contacting Ebay is distressing.

Last edited:
I hate how the "doctor" makes it a fact that the seller is a "sociopath".

He doesn't even know anything about it, and he's already stating facts... not claims, but facts.

I don't think that looks good on his part.

JasonRox said:
I hate how the "doctor" makes it a fact that the seller is a "sociopath".

He doesn't even know anything about it, and he's already stating facts... not claims, but facts.

I don't think that looks good on his part.
At this point I don't think they even know it was really a father, it could be someone stupid playing a practical joke.

kaos said:
Check it out at http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=3990694:yuck:

What other weird stuff are they going to sell next.
The story seems to be gone.

Edit: I found it.

Apparently all that was being sold was a "cyber" friendship at "myspace". This could be either a joke or the "daughter" might be a fake/fantasy character. If this is really a father pressuring his daughter into this it would be quite bad.

Last edited:
Pimping a cyber-relationship. My, how times have changed!

"Friendship" on MySpace is a matter of social rank. I imagine having attractive people as a friend makes it even moreso. No, this ad is only objectionable to me in that it supports social rank through number of practically anonymous cyber "friends".

I saw an ebay bid where a guy renounced his loyalty to the Detroit Lions (which he'd been a fan for like 30 years) and offered to instead cheer for whichever team the highest bidder chose - it included wearing jerseys on game days, watching all the games, etc. When I saw it, the bidding was actually at a hundred bucks or so - and it still had a lot of tiime left. The negotiating about what would be bought with the purchase did take up a lot of space - several folks wanted him to cheer against a certain team - which I'm not sure was part of the original terms of use.

But by far the best internet nothing-for-something deal is the One Red Paperclip guy - who is in the process of trading up from one red paperclip to ultimately a house. He's now gone from originally having one red paperclip to now having a recording contract - but he will only stop once he has a house. It's awesome!

http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.com/

What happened in the case of "Dad sells daughter's friendship on ebay."?

In 2008, a man from England made headlines when he attempted to sell his daughter's friendship on eBay. He claimed that his daughter was being bullied at school and he wanted to find her a new friend.

Was the sale actually completed?

No, the sale was not completed. eBay removed the listing as it violated their policies against selling human relationships. The man later clarified that it was meant to be a joke and he had no intention of actually selling his daughter's friendship.

What were the consequences of the father's actions?

The father faced backlash and criticism for his attempt to sell his daughter's friendship. Some accused him of exploiting his daughter's personal life for attention and money.

Is it legal to sell human relationships, such as friendships, on eBay?

No, it is not legal to sell human relationships on eBay or any other platform. It is considered unethical and goes against the platform's policies.

What can be done to prevent similar situations from happening in the future?

eBay has strict policies against the sale of human relationships and constantly monitors its platform for any violations. Additionally, it is important for individuals to understand the ethical implications of their actions and refrain from exploiting others for personal gain.