Mainstream Media: JonBenet Murder vs War & Surveillance

• Thread starter ksle82
  • Start date
In summary: Apparently Americans have hit a saturation point with the war in Iraq. The news on the Iraq war was buried on page 17 of my morning paper.The news media, especially the 24 hour variety, goes for sensationalism at every opportunity. My big gripe is that every fifteen minutes they claim to have an urgent update, and then proceeed to spew out the exact same information that they did fifteen minutes previously.Probably just reusing the footage from the LAX shutdown two weeks ago. They could be applauded for recycling, after all it's good for the environment...I can't watch the news right now because of this very issue. It's even on CNN International. That's right, CNN International. The only
ksle82
Call me ignorant but can somebody tell me why the jon bonet's(sp?) murder case gets more coverage than the war in iraq, war in the mid east, and nsa's wiretapping case, etc. combine? everytime i turn the channel to cnn, msnbc, fox, i would hear about this karr guy and the bonet's murder case. where else i can turn to for relevant news these days?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is simply because of Missing White Girl Syndrome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_White_Girl_Syndrome

Here's something I found on the internet, saved, and edited a bit. It contains profanity. So, if you have a weak stomach, do not read on. :rofl:

Moderator note: Quote deleted for lack of source.
Mk note: Readded, with source. Delete it if you may, I will only look at you like I would a politician
Moderator note: edited length due to copyright violation

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/7/3/491/18474
Does the name "Natalee Holloway" ring a bell?

If you follow the news media in the United States, particular the 24-hour cable stations, it certainly ought to. On the other hand, if you've been living in a cave for the past month or so, here are the highlights: Natalee Holloway is an 18 year-old girl from Alabama who vanished on May 30th from the island of Aruba, where she was vacationing with some of her classmates to celebrate their high school graduation. Based on the amount of coverage that this story has received from the national media (Fox News in particular), one must draw the conclusion that this is a Very Important Issue, and that all Americans should care very deeply and personally about it.

I must confess that I do not.

Now, before I get called a heartless bastard, let me hasten to point out that I agree that this story is tragic. Natalee's family and friends have doubtless been going through hell during this past month. I do hope that she can be recovered safe and sound, though that possibility seems very remote at this point. If I were the King of the World, I would snap my fingers and instantly transport every missing person back to the safety of their families.
But what makes Natalee Holloway more important than, say, Reyna Alvarado-Carerra?

Last edited by a moderator:
The news media, especially the 24 hour variety, goes for sensationalism at every opportunity. My big gripe is that every fifteen minutes they claim to have an urgent update, and then proceeed to spew out the exact same information that they did fifteen minutes previously.

Apparently Americans have hit a saturation point with the war in Iraq. The news on the Iraq war was buried on page 17 of my morning paper.

edward said:
The news media, especially the 24 hour variety, goes for sensationalism at every opportunity.
That's why we love our CBC and CTV news; none of that Yankee sensationalist crap. :approve:

I was trying to figure that one out earlier tonight. On the 11:00 news, they were showing photos of the airport, where the plane Karr is on was due to land in 2 hours, as if that was somehow news. Thanks, but I know what an airport looks like. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
On the 11:00 news, they were showing photos of the airport, where the plane Karr is on was due to land in 2 hours, as if that was somehow news. Thanks, but I know what an airport looks like. :rolleyes:

Probably just reusing the footage from the LAX shutdown two weeks ago. They could be applauded for recycling, after all it's good for the environment...

I can't watch the news right now because of this very issue. It's even on CNN International. That's right, CNN International. The only reason I can fathom it was on there was because dude had to be extradited from Thailand.

But, you'd think that after he was extradited, they'd stop reporting on it? No. I am so, so aggravated inside by this. Around the time this girl was lost, a black girl the same age was kidnapped a few miles from my house. A lot of posters went up and a few spots on the local news, but she was never heard from again. Where are the MSNBC pundits speculating on what happened to her?

My sister is a Guardian ad Litem, a lawyer who defends children who have been abused by their parents or legal guardians. The kinds of stories I hear from her, the amount of work she has to do...

Bah... I'm going to stop before I start saying mean things while getting very cynical! :frown:

Last edited:

What is the JonBenet murder case and how does it relate to war and surveillance?

The JonBenet Ramsey murder case is a highly publicized and unsolved murder of a six-year-old girl in Colorado in 1996. Many have drawn connections between this case and the larger issues of war and surveillance, specifically in regards to how the media covers and prioritizes these events.

What role does the mainstream media play in shaping public perception of the JonBenet murder case?

The mainstream media has a significant influence on how the public perceives the JonBenet murder case, as they are responsible for reporting and framing the story. This can impact the public's understanding of the case and potentially skew their views on larger issues such as war and surveillance.

How does the media coverage of the JonBenet murder case differ from coverage of war and surveillance?

The media coverage of the JonBenet murder case tends to focus on sensationalism and speculation, often at the expense of factual reporting. In contrast, war and surveillance are complex and nuanced issues that require thorough and accurate reporting, but may not always receive the same level of media attention.

What impact does media coverage of the JonBenet murder case have on public opinion?

The media's role in shaping public opinion cannot be understated. In the case of the JonBenet murder, the intense media coverage and sensationalized reporting may have influenced public perception and potentially diverted attention away from other important issues, such as war and surveillance.

How can we ensure that the media provides balanced and accurate coverage of both the JonBenet murder case and issues of war and surveillance?

As consumers of media, it is important to critically evaluate the sources and information presented to us. Additionally, holding media outlets accountable for their reporting and actively seeking out diverse perspectives can help promote more balanced and accurate coverage of these complex issues.