Volume of Ellipse Cross Section Perpendicular to x-Axis

In summary, the problem asks for the volume of an ellipse with the equation 4x^2 + y^2 = 1, with a cross section perpendicular to the x-axis. One possible solution involves solving for y, doing an integral with limits 0 to 1/4, and multiplying the total by 4. However, the problem may be missing information and may need to be rotated around an axis to create a solid figure.
JKLM
If the area enclosed by an ellipse 4x^2+y^2=1 and its cross section is perpendicular to the x-axis then its volume is?

I don't have the slightest clue how to do this?

Maybe solve for 2y^2=1-4x^2 set the integral equal to pi times the intergral of 1/4 to 1 of 1-4x^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you're missing part of the problem...

Originally posted by JKLM
If the area enclosed by an ellipse 4x^2+y^2=1 and its cross section is perpendicular to the x-axis then its volume is?

I don't have the slightest clue how to do this?

Maybe solve for 2y^2=1-4x^2 set the integral equal to pi times the intergral of 1/4 to 1 of 1-4x^2?
My calculus is rusty but here's the first idea which comes to mind. Solve for y:

y = sqrt(1-4x^2)

Then do an integral with limits 0 to 1/4, and multiply the total by 4. In other words (using a clunky capital S as an integral sign), solve this:

4 [ S(0-.25) sqrt(1-4x^2) dx ]

And that should be the answer. You may have trouble solving such a weird integral, but give it a go and see if the answer is reasonable.

--Mark

How can a planar fig occupy a volume I agree with Hurkyl u are missing something it must be rotated about some axis to have a solid figure

In retrospect you're probably right (I wrote that response in a hurry). At the time I posted, I assumed he meant "area" since he provided insufficient information to solve a volume-related problem.

--Mark

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of an ellipse cross section perpendicular to the x-axis?

The formula for calculating the volume of an ellipse cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is V = π * a * b^2, where a is the length of the ellipse along the x-axis and b is the length of the ellipse along the y-axis.

2. How do you determine the length of the ellipse along the x-axis?

The length of the ellipse along the x-axis is determined by the distance between the two furthest points on the ellipse that are perpendicular to the x-axis. This can also be referred to as the major axis of the ellipse.

3. Can the volume of an ellipse cross section perpendicular to the x-axis be negative?

No, the volume of an ellipse cross section perpendicular to the x-axis cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and therefore cannot be negative.

4. What units are used to measure the volume of an ellipse cross section perpendicular to the x-axis?

The volume of an ellipse cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic feet.

5. How is the volume of an ellipse cross section perpendicular to the x-axis different from the volume of a cylinder?

The volume of an ellipse cross section perpendicular to the x-axis is different from the volume of a cylinder because an ellipse has a curved shape while a cylinder has a straight, circular shape. This means that the formula for calculating their volumes is different.