Radiative Transfer: Learn Physics - Free Reference Guide

In summary, radiative transfer is the process by which electromagnetic radiation is transferred through a medium, such as air or space. It occurs when electromagnetic waves are emitted by a source, travel through a medium, and are then absorbed, scattered, or transmitted by particles in that medium. Radiative transfer has various applications in fields such as atmospheric science and medical imaging, and it is influenced by factors such as the properties of the medium and the characteristics of the radiation. It also plays a crucial role in Earth's climate system and can contribute to climate change.
anjor
Could someone please suggest a reference from where I could read up radiative transfer physics?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
anjor said:
Could someone please suggest a reference from where I could read up radiative transfer physics?
Is that radiative transfer as in a star, i.e. transport of gamma and X-ray, or is that radiative transfer as in Stefan-Boltzmann and blackbody radiation?

well, it is something about "Cosmological reionization around the first stars" ... so i think it is the stefan-boltzmann and blackbody radiation... but i might be wrong...
please help!

1. What is radiative transfer?

Radiative transfer is the process by which electromagnetic radiation (such as light, heat, and radio waves) is transferred or propagated through a medium, such as air or space.

2. How does radiative transfer work?

Radiative transfer occurs when electromagnetic waves are emitted by a source, travel through a medium, and are then absorbed, scattered, or transmitted by particles in that medium. The amount of radiation that is absorbed or scattered depends on the properties of the medium and the characteristics of the radiation, such as wavelength and intensity.

3. What are some applications of radiative transfer?

Radiative transfer is used in a variety of fields, including atmospheric science, astronomy, remote sensing, and medical imaging. It is used to study the properties of materials and objects, such as the composition and temperature of stars, the composition of Earth's atmosphere, and the structure of tissues in the human body.

4. What factors affect radiative transfer?

The amount of radiation that is transferred through a medium is influenced by several factors, including the properties of the medium (such as composition and density), the characteristics of the radiation (such as wavelength and intensity), and the presence of scattering or absorbing particles in the medium.

5. How is radiative transfer related to climate change?

Radiative transfer plays a crucial role in Earth's climate system. The absorption and scattering of solar radiation by Earth's atmosphere and surface determine the planet's overall energy balance and contribute to the greenhouse effect. Changes in radiative transfer can impact Earth's climate and lead to global warming or cooling.