Why do baggy pants keep you warmer than tight pants?

• Thread starter naab
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of insulation through trapped air in clothing. It is explained that air has a low heat conductivity and trapping it in the clothing helps to keep the wearer warm. Loose clothing may not be effective as it allows for excessive exchange of outside air. This concept is also applied in wetsuits, where a layer of water is trapped to keep the wearer warm.
naab
Hey

I just wondered.. You normally say that if you wear pants with a little air in between the legs and the pants you will warm up the air and that will make them warmer. If you wear tight pants there will be almost no air in between and therefore they will be colder.

Or similar with other kinds of insulation, its the AIR you warm up..So know I just thought; is it because the heat from your legs radiate out and gets reflected by the pants, that the air is hot (in the baggy pants)? And is it because you can transfer heat by the vibrations of the molecules in the tight pants that they aren't hot? Is that also a factor for the coldness of the tight pants? Because in the baggy pants you can't lose heat by "vibration transfer" (what is it called?)...

hope you understood the question, and sorry for my bad English..

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't anyone help ? :)

Insulation by layers of clothing means air is trapped in the the clothing. Air has a very low value of heat conductivity, so if you have a STILL layer of air, or lots of air trapped in the weaving you will have a fairly poor conductor of heat.

I do not think that extremely loose pants will help much as there will be excessive exchange of outside air, thus heat lose.

You need trapped air for insulation.

Just a note to say that this how wetsuits (for regular scuba diving, surfing, jetskiing etc) work, except that they keep a layer of water instead. Once the water layer (less than a mm because the suit is practically in contact with the skin) is warm, the wearer can stay much longer submerged than without a wetsuit.

What are insulating pants?

Insulating pants are a type of clothing designed to keep the legs warm in cold weather. They are typically made with materials such as fleece or wool that trap heat close to the body.

How do insulating pants work?

Insulating pants work by trapping a layer of air close to the body, which acts as an insulator and helps retain body heat. The materials used in insulating pants also have a high warmth-to-weight ratio, making them effective at keeping the legs warm.

Are insulating pants waterproof?

Not all insulating pants are waterproof, but some are designed to be water-resistant. It is important to check the product label or description to determine the level of water resistance of a specific pair of insulating pants.

What activities are insulating pants suitable for?

Insulating pants are suitable for a variety of activities in cold weather, such as hiking, skiing, and snowshoeing. They can also be worn as a base layer for outdoor activities in extremely cold temperatures.

How should I care for my insulating pants?

To maintain the effectiveness of insulating pants, it is recommended to follow the care instructions on the product label. Generally, they can be machine washed on a gentle cycle with a mild detergent and hung to dry. Avoid using fabric softeners or bleach, as they can damage the insulating properties of the pants.