Equations for Bending and Deflection of a Beam

In summary: Solving this system will give you the values for C1 and P, which you can then use to solve for the deflection equation. Remember to also include the units for your final answer. In summary, when solving for the deflection of a beam under bending, it is important to consider the relevant equations and include all necessary boundary conditions in order to obtain a complete solution.
goolai
bending for beam -- deflection

Homework Statement

bending for beam -- deflection
20070415_05367b844d10b4d3cc2eqR4rwWvyDL0r.bmp.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to get help, you should show some attempts in solving the problem. Filling up the part "Relevant equations" would be a step forward.

You may consider yourself lucky that I wrote that, since it's self-understood on this forum and can be found in guidelines etc. ; the only reason I pointed it out (again and again) is that I don't want anybody new to PF to think that questions are ignored.

my solution

The Attempt at a Solution

i was tried, but the answer was wrong

my solution
vertical equilibirum: Ra=Rc=1/2(P+3*W)

Second moment of area: I = (PI/64)*(D^4-d^4)=4.2726*10^-6 m^4
bending moment equation from load intensity
M=Ra<x>^1-P<x-1.5>^1-(w<x-1.5>^2)/2+Rc<x-3>^1

Integrated:

EI(dv/dx)=(Ra<x>^2)/2-(P<x-1.5>^2)/2-(w<x-1.5>^3)/6+(Rc<x-3>^2)/2+C1

Integrated one more time

EIV=(Ra<x>^3)/6-(P<x-1.5>^3)/6-(w<x-1.5>^4)/24+(Rc<x-3>^3)/6+C1*X+C2

NOW take the boundary conditions:

at x=0, deflection V=0, so C2=0
at x=1.5m deflection v=3mm so, caculate the C1

after caculate the C1, LHS=RHS=0

so i can't continue

thanks

Thank for your remind!

There is one more boundary condition you need to use on w'(x) in order to obtain a system of two equations with two unknowns, C1 and P.

1. What is beam deflection?

Beam deflection is the degree to which a beam bends or changes shape under a load. It is a measure of the stiffness and strength of a beam.

2. How is beam deflection calculated?

Beam deflection can be calculated using various equations, depending on the type of beam, the material it is made of, and the type of load applied. Some common equations used are the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory and the Timoshenko beam theory.

3. What factors affect beam deflection?

The factors that affect beam deflection include the type of beam (such as cantilever, simply supported, or fixed), the material properties of the beam (such as its modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia), the magnitude and type of load applied, and the location of the load on the beam.

4. How can beam deflection be minimized?

Beam deflection can be minimized by selecting a beam with a higher stiffness, such as a beam with a larger moment of inertia. The distance between supports can also be decreased, or additional supports can be added. Changing the material of the beam to one with a higher modulus of elasticity can also help reduce deflection.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding beam deflection?

Understanding beam deflection is important in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and construction. It helps in designing and selecting the appropriate beams for different structures, ensuring that they can withstand the required loads without excessive deflection. It is also crucial in determining the safety and stability of a structure.