How do I calculate the elastic potential energy stored in a spring?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the elastic potential energy stored in a spring with a relaxed length of 0.115 m and a spring constant of 45.0 N/m when its length is compressed to 0.145 m. One approach to finding the answer is by using the equation F=kx and integrating the work done to compress the spring between the limits 0.115 m and 0.145 m. Another approach is to use the equation PE=(1/2)*k*x^2, where x is the displacement from equilibrium.
lilmul123
This is my first time here! Thanks for the help in advance.

The staples inside a stapler are kept in place
by a spring with a relaxed length of 0.115 m.
If the spring constant is 45.0 N/m, how
much elastic potential energy is stored in the
spring when its length is 0.145 m? Answer in
units of J.

I know I have to use F=kx (maybe), but what's confusing me is the potential energy part. How do I fit that into finding the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
elastic P.E = work done to compress =integral of [(F)x(dx)] between the limits 0.145 and 0.115

If you haven't done calculus, the result Amith2006 is pointing you toward can be written PE=(1/2)*k*x^2, where x is the displacement from equilibrium.

Yeah, I've done calculus, but thank you both!

What is a "Spring Constant"?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant or spring stiffness, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation: k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

What are the units for spring constant?

The units for spring constant are typically represented as newtons per meter (N/m) in the metric system or pounds per inch (lb/in) in the imperial system.

What factors affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is affected by several factors, including the material and shape of the spring, the number of coils, and the temperature of the spring.

How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines the stiffness of the spring and influences its ability to resist stretching or compression. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and requires more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant means the spring is more flexible and requires less force.