Minimum Speed for Stunt Driver to Safely Jump Over Cars

• Thread starter heartofaragorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, to safely clear ten cars, a stunt driver jumping off a 1.25 m horizontal platform needs to have a minimum speed that allows them to travel 20 m horizontally while dropping 1.25 m in the air. This can be calculated by setting up two equations to determine the time it takes for the driver to drop and the required horizontal speed.
heartofaragorn

Homework Statement

A stunt driver sets a jump off a horizontal platform and over ten cars. The height of the platform is 1.25 m, and the total distance of the cars is 20.0 m. Find the minimum speed required to safely clear the cars.

Homework Equations

x - x initial = velocity X t + 1/2 a t squared (??)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to follow an example from the book but got confused because of the height difference (the book example did not have a change in y). I looked at solving for various vector components, but I was unsure of the angle...if the driver is going off a flat surface, would the angle be 0? I figured that the change in y = -1.25 m and the change in x = 20.0 m, but after trying a few things, I kept getting stuck. Please help! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to set up two equations really. First you need to know how long it will take for the stunt rider to drop the 1.25 meters. Then you can work out how fast he needs to go to travel 20 meters horizontally in the time it takes for him to hit the ground again.

Oh, thank you so much. I hate it when the answer is staring me in the face. I appreciate the help!

1. How do stunt men jump over cars?

Stunt men use ramps and precise timing to jump over cars. The ramp provides the necessary height and distance, while the timing ensures that they clear the car safely.

2. What safety measures are in place for stunt man jumping over cars?

Stunt men wear protective gear such as helmets, knee pads, and elbow pads to prevent injuries. They also undergo extensive training and rehearsals to perfect their technique and minimize risk.

3. How fast do stunt men need to be going to jump over cars?

The speed of the stunt depends on various factors such as the height and distance of the jump, the weight of the car, and the skill level of the stunt man. Generally, speeds of 30-40 mph are common for car jumps.

4. What are the biggest challenges of stunt man jumping over cars?

The biggest challenge is ensuring that the stunt is executed safely and successfully. This requires precise timing, coordination, and trust between the stunt man and the team involved. Other challenges include weather conditions, mechanical failures, and unforeseen obstacles.

5. Have there been any accidents or injuries during stunt man jumping over cars?

Unfortunately, accidents and injuries can occur during any stunt. However, with proper safety measures and training, the risk is minimized. In some cases, stunt men have suffered broken bones, concussions, and other injuries while attempting car jumps.