Arresting mold and mildew growth

• Thread starter jmnew51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, Jim is looking for a low-toxicity additive to prevent mold and mildew from growing on latex paint as part of his research. Quaternary amines, specifically CYCLOQUART distributed by Zaclon Inc., are commonly used for this purpose. Xylenol is also used in the manufacturing of biocide, but it has a strong, unpleasant smell. Jim plans to call Zaclon Inc. on Monday for more information.
jmnew51
I'm looking for an additive I can add to latex paint that will prevent mold and mildew from growing on it. Xylenol comes to mind, but I'm not sure. Or maybe a small amount of benzylkonium cloride.

It of course has to have low toxicity, yet be effective on mold.

This is part of my research.

Thank you

Jim

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Quaternary amines are usually used. Henkel Corporation offers one called CYCLOQUART that is formulated to be used in Latex paints. It is distributed by Zaclon Inc. in Cleveland OH. (216) 271-1601. My bottle is 4 years old so the info may be out of date.

Thanx for that info. The phone number is still valid, just I called after hours. I'll give them a call monday morning.

As it turns out xylenol is used in the manuf. of biocide, but not as it is. (Plus the stuff smells really bad, like a fresh box of band-aids).

Thanx

Jim

1. What is mold and mildew and why is it important to prevent their growth?

Mold and mildew are types of fungi that can grow on surfaces in damp and humid environments. They can cause structural damage to buildings, as well as health issues such as allergies and respiratory problems. It is important to prevent their growth to maintain a healthy living or working environment.

2. What are the common causes of mold and mildew growth?

Mold and mildew typically grow in areas with high levels of moisture, such as bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. Leaks, poor ventilation, and high humidity levels can also contribute to their growth. Additionally, organic materials like wood, paper, and fabric provide a food source for mold and mildew to thrive on.

3. How can I prevent mold and mildew growth in my home or workplace?

To prevent mold and mildew growth, it is important to control moisture levels in your environment. This can be achieved by fixing any leaks, improving ventilation, and using a dehumidifier in areas with high humidity. Regularly cleaning and drying surfaces, as well as minimizing clutter, can also help prevent their growth.

4. How can I effectively remove mold and mildew once it has already grown?

If you have already noticed mold and mildew growth, it is important to address it immediately. You can remove small patches of mold and mildew with a mixture of water and detergent, or a commercial mold and mildew cleaner. However, for larger or extensive growth, it is recommended to seek professional help to ensure proper and safe removal.

5. Can mold and mildew be harmful to my health?

Yes, exposure to mold and mildew can have negative effects on your health. In addition to allergies and respiratory problems, some types of mold can produce toxins that can cause more serious health issues. It is important to address and prevent their growth to maintain a healthy living or working environment.