How are sets defined in mathematics?

• Thread starter phoenixthoth
  • Start date
In summary, the first conversation explores the definition of a set and how it differs from the definitions of other mathematical structures such as vectors and groups. The second conversation discusses the possibility of turning the question of axiom independence into a different problem, such as using forcing to prove independence. It also mentions the correspondence between set theories and well-pointed topoi, as well as the use of forcing to prove axiom independence.
phoenixthoth
first one seems ridiculously basic...the other one less so.

1. What is a set?

If I ask what is a vector, I can say it is something in a vector space. If I ask what is a group, I can see if it meets some simple criteria. The axioms of set theory say certain things are sets but is there something that could be turned into a definition for a set of the form, "x is a set iff... ." For groups G, there is a way to finish that line "G is a group iff... ." Same for vectors. What about sets? (Please no circular definitions like a set is a collection. I'm after the actual definition from math.)

2. Is there a way to turn the question of axiom independence into any other type of problem? I don't know much about it but does forcing do that? There must be some way to recontextualize axioms as generators of a group or something with the rules of deductive calculus being the group operations, or something, isn't there? Not saying it would be a group but some algebraic structure...

Physics news on Phys.org
x is a set (in some model) if and only if it satisfies the axioms of being a set. Some thing is not a vector until you specify a vector space and then verify it is an element of that space. Precisely the same holds for sets.

The algebra of a set is the one with no function symbols. And behold: sets are in one-to-one correspondence with set-theoretic models of this algebra.

The theory of a set is the one with no function or relation symbols. And behold: sets are in one-to-one correspondence with set-theoretic models of this theory.

Surely this was not helpful, though! I agree with matt -- you first need to define a set theory, and then your sets are the 'elements' of that.

It turns out that bounded Zermelo set theories correspond with well-pointed topoi; it's even a 1-1 correspondence if you make add an additional axiom that's a consequence of replacement. Maybe an elementary version of the well-pointed topos axioms will be more to your liking?

Forcing can be used to prove axiom independence; I think it's basic idea is to adjoin an element satisfying the properties you want (e.g. N < X < PN), and then construct the set-theory generated by your original set-theory and this new element.

1. What are the two foundation questions?

The two foundation questions refer to the fundamental questions that every scientific inquiry should aim to answer: what is the phenomenon being studied? and what are the underlying causes or mechanisms behind the phenomenon?

2. Why are these two questions important in scientific research?

These two questions are crucial because they help scientists establish a clear understanding of the subject of their study and what drives it. By answering these questions, researchers can form hypotheses, design experiments, and draw conclusions based on evidence rather than assumptions.

3. How do scientists go about answering these two questions?

Scientists use a variety of methods and techniques to answer the two foundation questions, such as observation, experimentation, data analysis, and theoretical modeling. They also rely on previous research and established theories to guide their investigations.

4. Can the two foundation questions be applied to any field of study?

Yes, the two foundation questions can be applied to any field of study, from biology and chemistry to psychology and sociology. They provide a framework for understanding and investigating any phenomenon, regardless of the discipline.

5. Are there any limitations to the two foundation questions?

While the two foundation questions are essential in scientific research, they may not always lead to a complete understanding of a phenomenon. Some complex systems may have multiple causes, making it challenging to pinpoint a single underlying mechanism. In these cases, scientists may need to ask additional questions to gain a more comprehensive understanding.