Chemical Equilibria: Law of Mass Action & Beyond

In summary, the chemical equilibrium law is derived from the fundamental rule that states the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the backward reaction. This law is applied to the law of mass action, which is not always accurate in predicting the rate of a reaction. The law of mass action is based on the concentration of the reactants raised to their stoichiometric coefficients, but this may not always hold true in complex reactions. Therefore, it is important to understand the reaction mechanism before applying the law of equilibrium to accurately predict the rate of reaction.
sadhu
chemical equilibrium law is made using the fundamental rule

rate of forward reaction=rate of backward reaction

and then applied law of mass action to it

but law of mass action is not always correct in giving relation for the rate .
so why it is used there?

secondly if equilibrium depend upon the stoichiometric representation of reaction , then how can one tell which one will give correct relation ,or is it that all are correct?/

thanks in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
sadhu said:
chemical equilibrium law is made using the fundamental rule

rate of forward reaction=rate of backward reaction

and then applied law of mass action to it

but law of mass action is not always correct in giving relation for the rate .
so why it is used there?

secondly if equilibrium depend upon the stoichiometric representation of reaction , then how can one tell which one will give correct relation ,or is it that all are correct?/

thanks in advance!

The rate of reaction is usually a function of concentration of one or more of the reagents. You see this also applied in equilibrium discussion... of course the explanation is that the rate of forward and reverse reactions are equal in those explanations.
Are you sure you understand the law of mass action?

I think i am
well is it not this ,that rate of a chemical reaction is directly proportional to the active masses of the reactant raised to the power of their stoichiometric coefficients "

or else I slept whole year... :-(

sadhu said:
I think i am
well is it not this ,that rate of a chemical reaction is directly proportional to the active masses of the reactant raised to the power of their stoichiometric coefficients "

or else I slept whole year... :-(

Substitute 'concentration' for 'active masses' and I think you are close.
Do you think that is not the case that the rate of a chemical reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of one or more of the reactants raised to its stoichiometric coefficient?

right
but
what about the rate of reaction H2 +Cl2=>2HCl

it should be

rate=k

[Cl2]

but somewhere i studied that it is a zero order reaction i.e rate is constant irrespective of concentration of reactants

Complex reactions

sadhu said:
right but
what about the rate of reaction H2 +Cl2=>2HCl? It should be
rate=k

[Cl2]

No. The reaction does not go as written in the equation, which is merely a summary of the overall reaction. The reactions of H2 with halogens are
complex chain reactions involving several elementary steps:

Br2 + M [tex] \leftarrow \rightarrow [/tex] M + 2Br

Br + H2 [tex] \leftarrow \rightarrow [/tex] HBr + H

H + Br2 [tex] \rightarrow [/tex] HBr + Br.

In such cases, you cannot expect the law of mass action based on the overall reaction to work. For a discussion of this type of reaction, look in "The Foundations of Chemical Kinetics" by Sidney W. Benson (1960) or in a more
modern kinetics book.

that means i need to know the mechanism before applying the law of equilibrium
none of the books i have got mention anything regarding finding mechanism before applying law of equilibrium to reactions they only tell that in kinetics part.

sadhu said:
that means i need to know the mechanism before applying the law of equilibrium
none of the books i have got mention anything regarding finding mechanism before applying law of equilibrium to reactions they only tell that in kinetics part.

unless a single stage reaction
because all reactants are "reacted" within one step: that step is called rate-determining step.

for most of reactions, you cannot expect that the rate of reaction has any relationship with the stoichoimetric coefficients of all reactants or products...and the order of reaction with respect to the reactants/products are as well...

What is the Law of Mass Action?

The Law of Mass Action is a fundamental principle in chemical equilibria, which states that the rate of a chemical reaction is directly proportional to the product of the concentrations of the reactants.

How does the Law of Mass Action relate to chemical equilibria?

The Law of Mass Action is used to determine the direction and extent of a chemical reaction at equilibrium. It helps to calculate the equilibrium constant, which is a measure of the concentration of products and reactants at equilibrium.

What factors can affect the equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and concentrations of reactants and products. In addition, the presence of a catalyst can also alter the equilibrium constant.

Can the Law of Mass Action be applied to all chemical reactions?

No, the Law of Mass Action only applies to reversible reactions where reactants can form products and products can also revert back to reactants. It does not apply to irreversible reactions.

What is the significance of the equilibrium constant in chemical equilibria?

The equilibrium constant provides information about the relative concentrations of products and reactants at equilibrium. It also helps to predict the direction of the reaction and whether it will favor the formation of products or reactants.