What is the Law of Reflection for Waves on Solid Surfaces?

In summary, the author is commenting on a diagram that shows how light behaves when it is reflected off of a mirror. He explains that the incident ray is the ray that is shining onto the mirror, and the reflected ray is the ray that is being reflected off of the mirror. He also says that the angle at which something exits a target is equal but opposite to that with which it 'incidented'.
_Mayday_
I am having trouble understanding this idea, I will quote what I have read and then post an image. This is not a homework question if anyone asks, it is an extension of what I am doing at school, but I would like to do some work through my week off. :tongue:

"Waves that are incident on solid surfaces obey the law of reflection. The angle between the direction of travel of the incident wave energy and the normal to the surface is equal to the angle between the direction of travel of the reflected energy and the normal."

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6739/wavesol6.png

Question

a) What is the "incident"? I have looked it up but everywhere I look it is written in a way I do not understand, could someone please dum it down a bit :shy:

b) On the diagram I do not know what is happening? Like where is the wave coming from and what is the normal and reflected energy?

Any help would be great :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
_Mayday_ said:
a) What is the "incident"? I have looked it up but everywhere I look it is written in a way I do not understand, could someone please dum it down a bit :shy:
The "incident ray" simply means the incoming ray as opposed to the reflected ray. Imagine shining a laser onto a mirror, the part of the beam between your laser and the mirror is the incident beam since the light is traveling towards the mirror; once the beam has "touched" the mirror it becomes the reflected beam. I hope that clears it up.
_Mayday_ said:
b) On the diagram I do not know what is happening? Like where is the wave coming from and what is the normal and reflected energy?
Following on from my previous comment, you should know be able to determine where the light is coming from. The normal is just a "theoretical" line that is drawn normal (or perpendicular/orthogonal) to the mirror at the point where the beam "hits" the mirror. The reason it's there is the angles of incidence and reflection are measure from the normal line.

As far as I know, 'incident' simply means that it hits the thing. At least, that's what it means in 'literary' English. As in "The sunlight incident upon the meadow scared the hell out of the vampires who were sleeping in the dandilions."
The picture seems to indicate a basic reflection wherein the angle at which something exits a target is equal but opposite to that with which it 'incidented'.

edit: Oops! Hi, Hoot. You sneaked in whilst I was composing.
Love your avatar, by the bye. Hugh Laurie rules!

Danger said:
Hi Danger! That's right Danger I've been behind you all day ... :wink: Hugh Laurie is awesome, especially in House.

Hootenanny said:
The "incident ray" simply means the incoming ray as opposed to the reflected ray. Imagine shining a laser onto a mirror, the part of the beam between your laser and the mirror is the incident beam since the light is traveling towards the mirror; once the beam has "touched" the mirror it becomes the reflected beam. I hope that clears it up.

Following on from my previous comment, you should know be able to determine where the light is coming from. The normal is just a "theoretical" line that is drawn normal (or perpendicular/orthogonal) to the mirror at the point where the beam "hits" the mirror. The reason it's there is the angles of incidence and reflection are measure from the normal line.

It's amazing how much more sense that makes than how the book put it. :tongue: Thanks again Hoot!

Danger said:
As far as I know, 'incident' simply means that it hits the thing. At least, that's what it means in 'literary' English. As in "The sunlight incident upon the meadow scared the hell out of the vampires who were sleeping in the dandilions."
The picture seems to indicate a basic reflection wherein the angle at which something exits a target is equal but opposite to that with which it 'incidented'.

Thanks Danger, yeh I have to agree with you on that one the avatar is pretty sweet. I think I may become a contributer just to have a cool avatar and this site is like a second teacher :!)

_Mayday_ said:
this site is like a second teacher :!)

I'm more of an evil influence than a teacher myself, but everyone here is very proud when someone benefits from the site. Having an avatar and signature are nice perks, but not necessities. The real reason for becoming a contributor is to help keep the site going and growing and helping more people. I'd keep paying even if I got banned.

_Mayday_ said:
It's amazing how much more sense that makes than how the book put it. :tongue: Thanks again Hoot!
A pleasure as always Mayday :smile:

1. What is wave reflection?

Wave reflection is the phenomenon in which a wave bounces off a surface and travels back in the opposite direction.

2. What causes wave reflection?

Wave reflection is caused by a change in the medium that the wave is traveling through. When the wave encounters a boundary between two different materials, it can be reflected back into the original medium.

3. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence (the angle at which the wave hits the surface) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the wave bounces off the surface).

4. How is wave reflection used in everyday life?

Wave reflection is used in everyday life in a variety of ways. For example, mirrors and other reflective surfaces use the principles of wave reflection to create images. Sonar and radar systems also use wave reflection to detect objects and measure distances.

5. Can wave reflection be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, wave reflection can be controlled and manipulated through the use of materials and structures that are designed to reflect waves in specific ways. This is useful in applications such as soundproofing or creating specific acoustic environments.