Everyone in the world jumping in place at one time

• Thread starter spizma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a closed system and how it relates to the Earth's motion. The physics teacher mentioned that if all people were to gather in one area and jump, the Earth would not experience any extra motion due to being a closed system. This means that the center of mass of the Earth and all the people would not be acted on by an external force, thus remaining in the same direction and speed. However, this does not mean that the Earth would not be temporarily moved from its orbit until everyone landed again. The conversation also touches on gravity and provides an analogy for better understanding.
spizma
I heard from a person that his physics teacher told him that if every person were to gather in one area on the Earth and jump at once the Earth would not get any extra motion. He said the reason for this was that the Earth is a closed system. Is this right? If it is could someone please explain what a closed system is exactly and why that means that the Earth wouldn't move.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
He probably meant that the Earth would not be effected in its orbit. Perhaps he meant vis-a-vis closed system that the center of mass of the Earth plus all the people that would be jumping is not acted on by an external force so that center of mass would not change, in the sense that it would continue going in the same direction at the same speed. That does not mean however that the Earth would not be moved from it's speed and direction temporarily until all the people landed again. Then it would continue as it was before they all jumped. Of course, part of the basic element of their being in a closed system also is gravity. That's what would pull the Earth and people back toward their center of mass.

Like normouse said, the center of mass would experience no displacement. But when most people think of this (let's get everyone in the world on Manhattan and all jump!) I think they expect the Earth to fall away under them. We did a ballpark calculation in a physics class once, and it's nowhere close to even a meter of difference. Off by something like 10 orders of magnitude.

Yep, the Earth is pretty heavy.

soo?
all the ppl are in manhattan
the center of mass in in location [A]
everyone jumps, time stops, the center of mass is still in location [A].?
time starts, everyone lands, the center of mass is still in location [A].?

am i with you so far??

so then after the big experiment everyone heads off home.
now the center of mass is still in location [A]?

i think i get it, like trying to fly by pulling up on you laces!

phlegmy said:
i think i get it, like trying to fly by pulling up on you laces!

Exactly! That's a great analogy.

1. What would happen if everyone in the world jumped in place at one time?

If everyone in the world jumped in place at one time, it would cause a seismic wave that could potentially be measured by seismologists. It would also result in a small change in the Earth's rotation and orbit around the sun.

2. Would the Earth's crust be affected by everyone jumping in place at one time?

Yes, the Earth's crust would experience a slight deformation due to the force of millions of people jumping at the same time. However, this deformation would be very small and likely not noticeable to the naked eye.

3. Could jumping in place at one time cause any damage?

No, jumping in place at one time would not cause any significant damage. The force generated by millions of people jumping would be spread out over a large area and would not be strong enough to cause any damage.

4. How many people jumping at one time would be needed to have a noticeable effect?

The exact number of people needed to have a noticeable effect would depend on various factors such as the location, terrain, and size of the area where the jumping is taking place. However, it is estimated that at least one million people would be needed to generate a measurable seismic wave.

5. Can jumping in place at one time have any long-term effects?

No, jumping in place at one time would not have any long-term effects on the Earth. The changes in rotation and orbit would be very small and would not have any significant impact on the planet's overall functioning.