Integrating Newton's equations of motion

In summary, Joel is trying to solve a problem involving the motion of pedestrians. The force equation is solved using Gear's predictor-corrector method. The Gear predictor portion of the method is described as follows: x[n+1] = x + hv + ((h^2/2)a + ((h^3)/6)A + ((h^4)/24)B). The force equation is not explicitly defined in terms of time, so Joel needs to express the force equation in terms of time (or in this case, the time step, h). The only thought he has is to re-write the displacement and velocity components explicitly in terms of Newton's equations for curvlinear motion. If you want more
graffy76
Hello,

I have a little project I'm playing with that involves calculating a series of forces and summing them to define the motion of an object (in this case, a walking pedestrian).

The force equation is modeled on time-dependent vectors and scalars and is solved using Gear's predictor-corrector numerical method.

The Gear predictor portion of the method is described thus:

x[n+1] = x + hv + ((h^2/2)a + ((h^3)/6)A + ((h^4)/24)B

with v[n+1], a[n+1], A[n+1], and B[n+1] defined as the first through fourth derivatives of the above.

The force equation (= dv/dt) has time-dependent displacement and velocity vectors and scalars, but is not explicitly defined in terms of time. So, I obviously need to express the force equation in terms of time (or in this case, the time step, h).

My only thought would be to re-write the displacement and velocity components explicitly in terms of Newton's equations for curvlinear motion.

Thus:

if F(t) = v * x(t),

then F(t) = v * (x[n] + v[n]h + 1/2*a[n](t^2) ).

Such a rewriting would allow two derivatives of F(t) for the Gear model. By doing this, I think I'm just assuming that the motion of the pedestrians in time step h ( = 0.1 seconds in this case) is curvlinear - the same assumption that is taken to establish the Gear equations in the first place.

In any case, I haven't dealt with this level of math or physics since college (going on ten years now), and I'm a bit rusty.

Am I on track, or is this the wrong way to go about getting the two extra derivatives I need?

If you want more information about the specific problem, see below:
http://public.rz.fh-wolfenbuettel.de/~apel/files/thesis.pdf"

see pages 21 - 29. The force equation is summarized on page 26 and the Gear predictor portion is summarized on page 28.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Joel

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For me the link you provide doesn't work. I have not understood the question, but I can imagine that some of the very skilled people the PF hosts could give you valuable advice, if they had the information you intended to equip them with.

Good luck,
Angelos

Ok,

I realize my original post was a bit obscure, and I've had a few thoughts since then, so let me restate it...

I have a force equation which is used to describe the motion of pedestrians. According to Newton's 2nd and assumunig unit mass,

F(t) = ma = a = dv\dt

Where:

F(t)=v * e(t) \ tau

Where:

V = ped velocity (fixed scalar)
Tau = time constant
e(t) = vector pointing in the ped direction of travel.

Solving this is done using Gear's predictor corrector to the fifth order, which requires a first and second derivative of F(t).

It's finding those derivatives that is giving me problems, but I think I may have worked it out.

The problem is, how do I convert a time dependent function from an instantaneous definition to a definition with respect to t?

Look at e(t);

e(t) = (p - x)\(||p-x||)

e(t) is a unit vector where:
p=goal coordinate of pedestrian
x=current coordinate of pedestrian

Given that I need first and second derivatives of F(t) w.r.t t, and the only time dependent variable in F(t) is e(t), then I need to differentiate e(t) w.r.t. t. Looking at the definition of e(t), it's obvious that the pedestrian current coordinate, x, is the only time dependent variable.

Thus it seems to me, I must redefine x as:

x(t) = x + v * t + (1\2) * a * t^2

(Where i is initial or previous value)

which assumes that the pedestrians path is always curvlinear.

Now substitute x(t) in for both occurences of x in e(t).

Having done that, I'm now left with a rather ugly little equation that I need to derive twice w.r.t. t to get the derivatives I need to implement a fifth-order Gear predictor-corrector solution.

That's about as far as I can take it. Does it make sense? Is there a better way to convert a force equation defined instantaneously as a function of time t?

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

What is the process for integrating Newton's equations of motion?

The process for integrating Newton's equations of motion involves using calculus to solve for the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time. This is done by integrating the acceleration to find the velocity and then integrating the velocity to find the position.

What are the limitations of integrating Newton's equations of motion?

There are several limitations to integrating Newton's equations of motion, including the assumption of a constant mass and the neglect of factors such as air resistance, friction, and other external forces. In addition, the equations are only accurate for objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light.

How does integrating Newton's equations of motion relate to real-world applications?

The process of integrating Newton's equations of motion is essential in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in the real world, from simple motions like throwing a ball to more complex motions like the orbit of planets. It is also fundamental in the development of technologies such as rockets, airplanes, and cars.

What are some common methods for solving Newton's equations of motion?

Some common methods for solving Newton's equations of motion include numerical integration, which involves using algorithms and computer programs, and analytical integration, which involves using mathematical techniques such as calculus. Other methods include graphical analysis and approximations using simplified models.