Silly question, derivation of energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the absence of "divided by 2" in a formula for acceleration, and the correct use of units in equations. The conversation also touches on the difference between deriving a formula for constant force and variable force, and the importance of understanding the derivation process for better understanding of algorithms. The conversation also mentions using a college textbook for reference and the speaker's experience with physics classes in college.
tuoni
Here's a silly question I ended up thinking about. Maybe I learned it in college, but it's long forgotten by now ^~^; It might be quite a silly question, something I shouldn't have forgotten so easily, but alas, here I am, I've gotten so accustomed to simply using the algorithms without much thought. What a bad thing to happen T_T

Where did the "divided by 2" go?

[itex]{\color{red} a := \frac{m}{s^{2}} := \frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}m} := \frac{ \left( \frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}} \right) }{m} := \frac{ \left( \frac{m}{s} \right) \left( \frac{m}{s} \right) }{m}} \;\; \Rightarrow \;\; a = \frac{v^{2}}{s}[/itex]

[itex]E = \frac{mv^{2}}{2}[/itex]

[itex]E = Fs = mas = m \frac{v^{2}}{s} s = \frac{mv^{2}s}{s} = mv^{2}[/itex]

a := acceleration
E := energy
F := force
m := mass
m := metre
s := space
s := second
v := velocity

Is my mind deteriorating, or why am I unable to see what is wrong? o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
You're mixing up ( red ) s as seconds with ( black) s as displacement. See definition of Joule ( energy ) and Newton ( force ). In fact, some of your definitions are quite reckless. Get rid of m = metre. Prefer s = displacement. Get rid of s = second. Prefer t = time.

Last edited:
In your finding an equation for accleration, you used dimensional analysis. Using that doesn't give you the value of constants, so it not safe to assume that the constant is always 1.

Your equation for acceleration should have been [itex]a=\frac{kv^2}{s}[/itex]

But I see that you were deriving the formula for kinetic energy.
There are two ways to do it, with a constant force or variable force.

For constant force.

E=Fs=mas

now use [itex]v^2=u^2+2as[/itex]

If you wanted to use calculus (for a variable force)

[tex]E= \int F ds= \int (ma) ds[/tex]

and [itex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] (So use the chain rule to get 'a' in terms of d(something)/ds)

tuoni said:
[itex]{\color{red} a := \frac{m}{s^{2}} := \frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}m} := \frac{ \left( \frac{m^{2}}{s^{2}} \right) }{m} := \frac{ \left( \frac{m}{s} \right) \left( \frac{m}{s} \right) }{m}} \;\; \Rightarrow \;\; a = \frac{v^{2}}{s}[/itex]
All this demonstrates is that v^2/s has the same units as acceleration. For an object uniformly accelerated from rest, [itex] a = v^2/2s[/itex] where v is the final speed. (Derive this from the definition of acceleration and average velocity.)

I haven't really done much derivation in my life, so yes, never expected to get it right the first time. Demonstrating that the units are the same was probably not the best idea either. However, thank you for the help ^_^

I'm also using a algorithms/equations book from college, so I never realized to look elsewhere. A few things I haven't seen before. I took all the physics classes in college, either I have forgotten quite a bit, or there were some very important parts left out.

I am working on ballistic algorithms, so that is why I've suddenly began with derivation. It makes it a lot easier for users to understand the algorithms if they see how it's derived, rather than just in-your-face.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It comes in many forms, such as heat, light, electricity, and motion.

How is energy measured?

Energy is measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). It can also be measured in other units, such as calories and kilowatt-hours (kWh).

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

How is energy derived?

Energy can be derived from various sources, such as fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, and renewable sources like wind and solar. It can also be converted from one form to another, such as chemical energy being converted to electrical energy in a battery.

Why is it important to conserve energy?

Conserving energy is important for several reasons. It can help reduce our carbon footprint and slow down climate change. It also helps reduce our dependence on non-renewable resources and can save us money on energy bills.