Achieving Light Speed in Darkness

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the speed of light and whether it can be attained in a place where light does not exist. It is concluded that the absence of light does not change the laws of physics. The conversation then moves on to the idea of the speed of darkness and a humorous article is mentioned. The person asking the original question clarifies their thoughts and it is mentioned that the article is meant as a joke. The conversation ends with a discussion about the possibility of "sucking away" darkness.
offtheleft
would the speed of light be attainable in a place where light doesn't exist?

Science news on Phys.org
No. The absence of light doesn't change the laws of physics.

can you elaborate on your question?

also I put forth another 'ponderable'. what is the speed of darkness?

C.

-----------------------------------

Defennder said:
Your question reminds me of this:
http://www.jtkdev.com/light.html

That theory looks interesting...it'd be quite the twist if it was proven true.

offtheleft said:
i was thinking along those lines, actually.
I trust you realize that that article was meant as a joke. :wink:

Doc Al said:

like I said, along those lines. Not exactly though, I don't think that darkness could be sucked away through a light bulb. I'll try and find a better way to word my question so it's more understandable. It's tough while sitting in class typing on a iPhone.

Doc Al said:
I find it absolutely brilliant, nonetheless.

well, i am A little bit confused about sucking the darkness, It doesn't seem to be right. There is no any touchable and reasonable confirmation.

1. How is light speed defined and achieved?

Light speed, also known as the speed of light, is the fastest speed at which all forms of matter and information can travel through space. It is defined as approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. Achieving light speed is currently only possible for massless particles, such as photons, which travel at this speed in a vacuum. Scientists are still researching ways to achieve this speed for larger objects.

2. Can light speed be achieved in complete darkness?

Yes, light speed can be achieved in complete darkness. Darkness refers to the absence of visible light, but it does not affect the speed of light. This is because light speed is a universal constant and is not affected by external factors such as darkness or light.

3. What are the challenges of achieving light speed in darkness?

One of the main challenges with achieving light speed in darkness is the concept of relativity. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light. Additionally, objects traveling at light speed would experience time dilation, making it difficult for them to reach their destination in a timely manner.

4. Are there any potential benefits to achieving light speed in darkness?

Achieving light speed in darkness could have a number of potential benefits, such as faster space exploration and communication. It could also lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe. However, there are also potential dangers, such as the risk of collisions with other objects and the potential for time travel paradoxes.

5. What are some current theories or technologies being explored for achieving light speed in darkness?

Some current theories and technologies being explored for achieving light speed in darkness include using powerful lasers to propel objects forward, creating wormholes or warp drives to bend space-time, and harnessing the power of antimatter. However, these are still in the early stages of research and development, and it may be some time before we are able to achieve light speed in darkness.