Detecting Quarks: How Found & Isolated?

• Thread starter ghery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quarks
In summary, two high speed electrons were used to detect that there are three scattering centers in the protons.
ghery
Hi:

I have heard that It was found at SLAC that the nucleons are made of 3 quarks, how did they found that if quarks can not be isolated?, and by the way, how do you detect those quarks if they can not be found free in nature?

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Shooting high speed electrons at protons led to the observation that there are three scattering centers in the protons.

mathman said:
Shooting high speed electrons at protons led to the observation that there are three scattering centers in the protons.
I have never felt at ease with this answer. There is an arbitrary large number of partons in a hadrons, provided one looks close enough. So I always thought "three scatering centers" is oversimplfying. But maybe you'd call this nitpicking.

ghery said:
Hi:

I have heard that It was found at SLAC that the nucleons are made of 3 quarks, how did they found that if quarks can not be isolated?, and by the way, how do you detect those quarks if they can not be found free in nature?

Regards

When you shoot two protons against each other, if protons were elementary particles, you would observed two scattered protons after the collisions (I'm simplifying).
Instead of that, we observe what we call two "jets" back to back + some remnants. Jet is a collimated flux of hadrons particles (protons, neutrons + other weird particles called pions, kaons,...). We interpret this inelastic collision as the proof that protons are not elementary particles and our models are predicting that the elementary particles constituing the protons would produce jets when escaping from each other.

I'm not sure if I was clear... :-)

humanino said:
There is an arbitrary large number of partons in a hadrons, provided one looks close enough. So I always thought "three scatering centers" is oversimplfying. But maybe you'd call this nitpicking.

What's actually done is to look at relationships called QCD sum rules, which are related to the number of valence quarks: in particular, the Adler sum rule measures [tex]N(u) - N(d)[/tex] and experimentally this is equal to 1. Add that to the quark charge assignments and you get 3 valence quarks. More directly is the Gross & Llewellen-Smith sum rule, which measures [tex]N(u) + N(d)[/tex]. Unfortunately, this is rather hard to measure and there are higher-order QCD corrections which make the measured quantity about 11-12% low. The measurement is around 2.5, so [tex]N(u) + N(d)[/tex] is measured to be close to 2.8 or so: closer to three than any other integer, but not exactly what the simple calculations lead one to expect.

1. What are quarks?

Quarks are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons, which are in turn the building blocks of atoms. They are the smallest known particles and cannot be divided into smaller components.

2. How were quarks discovered?

Quarks were first proposed by physicists Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig in the 1960s to explain the behavior of subatomic particles. Their existence was later confirmed through experiments at particle accelerators, such as the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center.

3. How are quarks detected?

Quarks cannot be observed directly, as they are confined within particles. Instead, scientists use particle accelerators to study the interactions of particles and look for evidence of quarks. They also use mathematical models and simulations to study the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. What methods are used to isolate quarks?

Quarks cannot be isolated in the traditional sense, as they are always bound together in groups. However, scientists can study the properties and behavior of individual quarks by studying their interactions with other particles. This is done through experiments at particle accelerators, as well as through theoretical and computational models.

5. Why is the study of quarks important?

Quarks are crucial to our understanding of the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe. By studying quarks, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of matter at the smallest scale and how the universe was formed. Additionally, research on quarks has practical applications, such as improving our understanding of nuclear energy and developing new technologies.