How Can I Find the Entropy of the Universe Using Sterling's Approximation?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the entropy of a model universe with 100 atoms in system 1 and 1500 atoms in system 2, given that there are 3 atoms in system 2 and 97 atoms in system 1. The formula for entropy is mentioned and the use of Stirling's approximation is suggested to simplify the calculation. The conversation also covers the calculation of microstates and the use of ln(Ω) to find the entropy. The conversation concludes with the successful computation of the entropy for both systems and the total entropy for the universe.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

A model universe comprises 100 atoms in system 1 and 1500 atoms in system 2. Compute the entropy for the universe when there are 3 atoms on in system 2 and 97 atoms on in system 1 (using sterlings approximation).

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to find the entropy of systems 1 and 2 by initially finding the number of microstates and then the equation:

entropy = boltzmanns * ln(microstates)

Just wondering how I would get the entropy of the universe though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you know how many microstates there are for systems 1 and 2, then how many microstates are possible for the combined system (1+2)?

I was unsure of the terminology. So taking universe as systems 1 and 2:

I can find number of microstates using Ω = C(N,n)
(i.e. the number of ways of moving n atoms from N sites)

Thus for system 1:
Ω = C(1500,3)?
This is a massive number!

Am I on the right track?

Yup that's the correct way of doing the calculation. The calculation may be made easier by finding a formula for C(N,n) in terms of factorials, then applying Stirling's approximation.

sterlings approximation only helps once I get a value of Ω though correct?
I cannot even compute C(1500,3)=1500!/3!1497! due to overflow!

Ok, so I managed to compute C(1500,3) and C (100,97).
I got 561375500 and 646800 respectively.

(I wish to keep in terms of boltzmanns)
Therefore for system 1:
entropy = K*ln(561375500) = 20.15K

and system 2:
entropy = K*ln(646800) = 13.38K

total = 33.53K?

Where does Sterling's Approximation come into this?

ln(Ω) = ln(1500!/3!1497!) = ln(1500!) - ln(3!) - ln(1497!) = 1500ln(1500) - 1500 - ln(6) - 1497ln(1497) + 1497

Here's where sterling's approximation saves you from evaluating horrible factorials.

yeah i completed it, thanks for help

1. What is entropy of the universe?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In the context of the universe, it refers to the overall increase in disorder and decrease in available energy over time.

2. How does entropy affect the universe?

Entropy is a fundamental aspect of thermodynamics and plays a key role in the natural processes of the universe. It drives the flow of energy and the evolution of systems towards a state of maximum disorder.

3. Is entropy of the universe constantly increasing?

Yes, according to the second law of thermodynamics, the entropy of the universe is constantly increasing. This means that the universe is gradually moving towards a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done.

4. Can entropy be reversed?

While it is possible to decrease the entropy of a local system, such as a living organism, the overall entropy of the universe will continue to increase. The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy can never decrease in a closed system.

5. How does entropy relate to the concept of time?

Entropy can be thought of as a measure of the irreversible passage of time. As entropy increases, systems become more disordered and less organized, making it difficult to reverse the process and return to a previous state. This is why time is often described as a "one-way arrow" in relation to entropy.