Can someone help me understand and evaluate the Riemann zeta function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of proving the Riemann hypothesis by using a zero counting function and induction, and also asks for help in evaluating the Riemann zeta function. The approach mentioned is similar to reducing the problem to Merten's conjecture, but it has been proven false.
epkid08
I still don't understand a few things.

Let's say we had a non-trivial zero counting function, [tex]Z_n(n)[/tex], for the riemann zeta function. Couldn't we fairly easily prove the riemann hypothesis by evaluating [tex]\zeta (\sigma+iZ_n)[/tex], solving for [tex] \sigma [/tex], then proving it for all n using induction?

On another note, I still need help in evaluating the actual function. Can someone show me, step by step, how to evaluate say, [tex]\zeta (1/2 + 5i)[/tex]? Please be specific

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use (21) or (25) on http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannZetaFunction.html in the evaluations, though you'll have to resort to numerical methods sooner or later.

Of the attempt at proving the Riemann hypothesis, I can only say that the approach you suggest is similar to reducing the problem to Merten's conjecture (by a Mobius reciprocation)- a proof of which would imply the Riemann hypothesis! However, Merten's conjecture has been shown false (though its falsity does not imply the falsity of the Riemann hypothesis).

1. What is the Riemann Zeta Function?

The Riemann Zeta Function is a mathematical function that was first introduced by the German mathematician Bernhard Riemann in the 19th century. It is defined as the sum of the infinite series 1 + 1/2^s + 1/3^s + 1/4^s + ..., where s is a complex variable.

2. What is the significance of the Riemann Zeta Function?

The Riemann Zeta Function is important in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, complex analysis, and physics. It has connections to the distribution of prime numbers, the behavior of complex numbers, and the properties of quantum systems.

3. What is the Riemann Hypothesis?

The Riemann Hypothesis is one of the most famous open problems in mathematics. It states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann Zeta Function lie on the critical line with real part equal to 1/2. It has been verified for the first 10 trillion zeros, but has yet to be proven or disproven.

4. How is the Riemann Zeta Function related to the Prime Number Theorem?

The Prime Number Theorem is a fundamental result in number theory that describes the asymptotic behavior of the prime numbers. It is closely connected to the Riemann Zeta Function through the use of the Riemann Explicit Formula, which relates the distribution of primes to the zeros of the Zeta Function.

5. Are there any applications of the Riemann Zeta Function?

While the Riemann Zeta Function does not have any direct practical applications, its connections to various areas of mathematics have led to the development of new techniques and insights in these fields. It also continues to serve as a source of inspiration for mathematicians in their pursuit of a better understanding of the natural world.