Proving that a^2-2b^2-4c^2 = 0 has no positive integer solutions

In summary: Good luck!In summary, the goal is to prove that the equation a^3-2b^3-4c^3 = 0 has no positive integer solutions. The approach taken is a proof by contradiction, assuming that there is a least solution (a*, b*, c*) and then showing that a* is even, leading to the conclusion that b* and c* must also be even. The next step is to show that k, m, and n are also even, which will lead to a new solution (k, m, n) where k < a*, contradicting the assumption that a* is the least solution. This will prove that the original equation has no positive integer solutions.
ms2718
so I have to prove that a^3-2b^3-4c^3 = 0 has no positive integer solutions. I have gotten through most of the proof but now I am stuck, and if you guys could give me a nudge in the right direction that would be great.

work done so far:

proof by contradiction, i assumed that a^3-2b^3-4c^3 = 0 does have a positive int solution, therefore by the well ordering principle it has a least solution a = a* , b = b*, c = c*. I then proceeded to show that a*^3 = 2b*^3+4c*^3, therefore a*^3 is an even number, and so a* is also even. I let a* = 2k and plugged that back into the equation to get the following: 8(k^3) = 2b*^3+4c*^3. Now i am stuck. If you guys could give me a nudge in the right direction that would be great, I know that i want to show that k is also a solution to the original equation therefore contradicting that a* is the least solution, thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, your solution will be an ordered triplet (a, b, c) - so you cannot apply the well ordering principle to your solution set. You CAN however apply it to the set of a's for which there exist corresponding b and c which form solution triples. In other words, your idea is perfectly good, but your wording is a little off. You're going to use the WOP on the least value of a.

What you've done so far is good. Keep going in that direction. Now that you know a=2k. Try to show that b is also even (b=2m) and then that c must also be even (c=2n). Then plug everything back into the original equation to show that (k, m, n) is another solution where k < a, which is the contradiction you were looking for.

Last edited:
thanks for the help, i have tried this approach, and the come to the point where I have the following expressions for k,m,l:

k^3 = (1/4)b^3 + (1/2)c^3

m^3 = (1/16)a^3 - (1/4)c^3

l^3 = (1/32)a^3 - (1/16)b^3

and i plug these into the original equation and the a terms do not cancel out, I feel like i am so close but just cannot get it, if u have anymore hints that would be great.

I just realized that I had a typo in my original response. I was using the variables k, m, n for most of it and then switched to k, l, m at the very end... I have since edited the post just to keep it consistent.

Let's back up a bit: We know a is even, a=2k. so [tex]a^3=8k^3=2b^3+4c^3[/tex]. Let's ignore the a^3 bit and look at what's left. The next step, as stated above, is to show that b is even. We're going to use the same strategy you did earlier for a: we're going to isolate b^3.

[tex]8k^3=2b^3+4c^3[/tex]

[tex]8k^3-4c^3=2b^3[/tex]

[tex]4k^3-2c^3=b^3[/tex]

What can you say about b? Set b=2m.

Next step: Show c is even. Go back to your very original statement [tex]a^3=2b^3+4c^3[/tex] and substitute in a=2k and b=2m. Use the same strategy to isolate c^3 and show that c is even (c=2n).

After you do this, you will be ready for the last step.

1. What does it mean to have a solution to a^2-2b^2-4c^2 = 0?

Having a solution to this equation means that there exist three positive integers, a, b, and c, that when substituted into the equation, result in an answer of 0.

2. How can we prove that this equation has no positive integer solutions?

This can be proven by using a method called "proof by contradiction," where we assume that there is a solution to the equation and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction or impossibility. If we can prove that the assumption leads to a contradiction, then we can conclude that the equation has no positive integer solutions.

3. Can we use a computer to find solutions to this equation?

Yes, a computer can be used to find solutions to this equation. However, the question is not about finding solutions, but rather proving that there are no solutions. The computer can be used to test various values of a, b, and c, but it cannot prove that there are no solutions.

4. Why is it important to prove that this equation has no positive integer solutions?

This equation is known as a Diophantine equation and is often studied in number theory. By proving that it has no positive integer solutions, we are contributing to the understanding and knowledge of this field of mathematics. Additionally, this equation is often used in cryptography, so understanding its properties is crucial for security purposes.

5. Are there any other methods for proving the non-existence of solutions to equations like this one?

Yes, there are other methods such as proof by induction, proof by infinite descent, and proof by modular arithmetic. These methods may be more efficient in certain cases, but ultimately they all aim to show that the assumption of a solution leads to a contradiction.