Oil Compressibility - Bulk Modulus of Oil (API 30-40) 0-3000 psi & 10-20°C

In summary, Filippo Librino is looking for information on the bulk modulus of oil with an API Gravity of 30-40, at pressures ranging from 0-3000 psi and temperatures ranging from 10-20 degrees C. They mention that there is no gas present and are interested in finding curves or tables showing the variation of the bulk modulus under these conditions. CS suggests using NIST's REFPROP 8.0 program for this task, but notes that calculating the bulk modulus based on specified properties is also an option. They also mention the limitations of using empirical data and recommend using NIST instead. Filippo Librino expresses gratitude for the additional information.
Filippo54US
Could anybody provide information on the bulk modulus of oil (say API Gravity 30-40) in the range of pressure 0-3000 psi and in the range of temperature 10-20 degrees C?

Many thanks

Filippo Librino

Engineering news on Phys.org
Filippo54US said:
Could anybody provide information on the bulk modulus of oil (say API Gravity 30-40) in the range of pressure 0-3000 psi and in the range of temperature 10-20 degrees C?

Many thanks

Filippo Librino

Can you provide more details about the oil (e.g. gas-oil ratio, specific gravity, separator temp and pressure)? Hydrocarbons typically vary quite a bit over that large of a range.

CS

stewartcs said:
Can you provide more details about the oil (e.g. gas-oil ratio, specific gravity, separator temp and pressure)? Hydrocarbons typically vary quite a bit over that large of a range.

CS

Thanks for your reply. Please assume no gas. As far as pressure and temperature, I am actually looking for curves or tables showing how the oil bulk module varies in the range 0-3000 psi and 10-20 degrees C.

Filippo Librino

Filippo54US said:
Thanks for your reply. Please assume no gas. As far as pressure and temperature, I am actually looking for curves or tables showing how the oil bulk module varies in the range 0-3000 psi and 10-20 degrees C.

Filippo Librino

NIST has a program called REFPROP that can probably generate the chart you want if you can specify the type of fluid. Version 8.0 includes most hydrocarbons so make sure you use it. Otherwise, you'll have to specify the exact conditions (specific gravity, pressure, temp, etc.) and calculate it.

CS

stewartcs said:
NIST has a program called REFPROP that can probably generate the chart you want if you can specify the type of fluid. Version 8.0 includes most hydrocarbons so make sure you use it. Otherwise, you'll have to specify the exact conditions (specific gravity, pressure, temp, etc.) and calculate it.

CS

Thanks. I will try to get access to REFPROP 8.0.

Filippo Librino

Filippo54US said:
Thanks. I will try to get access to REFPROP 8.0.

Filippo Librino

I ran some hand calcs to give you an idea of what it would be with some arbitrary properties.

Note that validity of the compressibility regarding the bubble point pressure (there are some other limitations that I haven't listed but are not directly applicable given the information you have already provided). Also, the formulas I used are for petroleum fluids (e.g. crude oil) and are based in part on empirical data.

I would still recommend using NIST instead.

Hope this helps.

CS

Attachments

• oil_comp.JPG
    oil_comp.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,029
stewartcs said:
I ran some hand calcs to give you an idea of what it would be with some arbitrary properties.

Note that validity of the compressibility regarding the bubble point pressure (there are some other limitations that I haven't listed but are not directly applicable given the information you have already provided). Also, the formulas I used are for petroleum fluids (e.g. crude oil) and are based in part on empirical data.

I would still recommend using NIST instead.

Hope this helps.

CS

Thanks for the additional information!

Filippo Librino

1. What is oil compressibility?

Oil compressibility refers to the ability of oil to be compressed or reduced in volume when subjected to pressure. It is a measure of the change in volume of oil per unit change in pressure.

2. What is bulk modulus of oil?

Bulk modulus of oil is a measure of its resistance to compression under pressure. It is a measure of the change in pressure per unit change in volume of oil.

3. What is the API gravity range of the oil used in this study?

The API gravity range of the oil used in this study is 30-40, which falls under the category of medium crude oil.

4. What is the pressure range studied in this experiment?

The pressure range studied in this experiment is 0-3000 psi (pounds per square inch).

5. What is the temperature range studied in this experiment?

The temperature range studied in this experiment is 10-20°C (50-68°F).