Solving Jackson 6.5c: Struggling with -1/3 Factor

• Thread starter shehry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jackson
In summary, the student is seeking guidance on solving a problem involving a volume integral, potential, and vector identities. They are having trouble converting the integral to m and obtaining the -1/3 factor mentioned in the problem statement. Suggestions are given for converting the integral to m and finding the correct factor, as well as seeking assistance from others if needed.
shehry1

Homework Statement

I need some guidance concerning Jackson 6.5c. Specifically I cannot get the -1/3 factor that the statement says I should.

Homework Equations

Solutions to part a and b which are given in the problem statement.

The Attempt at a Solution

-I started from the volume integral of the curl of (phi * H)
-Introduced a potential of the form: Ez.
-and by a succession of vector identities given on the cover of Jackson along with equation 6.108 was able to come to [E x (volume integral) (z x J)].

Now:
-How can I convert the volume integral to m so that I get the right factors.
-I tried to use the method on page 185 but without luck.

Thanks for your help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Dear student,

It seems like you are on the right track with your attempt at solving this problem. To convert the volume integral to m, you can use the fact that 1 m = 1/(10^3 * 10^-6) m^3. This will give you the correct units for the final answer.

As for the -1/3 factor, it may help to look at the vector identities you used and see if any of them involve a factor of -1/3. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct sign conventions for the curl and the cross product.

If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to consult with your peers or your professor for further clarification. Good luck!

1. How do I solve Jackson 6.5c if I am struggling with the -1/3 factor?

To solve Jackson 6.5c, you can use the quadratic formula or the factoring method. If you are struggling with the -1/3 factor, you can try rewriting the equation in standard form by multiplying both sides by -3. This will eliminate the fraction and make it easier to factor or use the quadratic formula.

2. Why is the -1/3 factor causing difficulty in solving Jackson 6.5c?

The -1/3 factor can cause difficulty because fractions can be tricky to work with and can lead to errors in calculations. Additionally, the negative sign can make the problem more complex and require extra steps to solve.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should solve Jackson 6.5c with the -1/3 factor?

There is no specific order in which you must solve the problem. However, it may be helpful to first rewrite the equation in standard form and then use the factoring method or quadratic formula to solve for the variable.

4. What are some tips for solving Jackson 6.5c with the -1/3 factor?

Some tips for solving Jackson 6.5c with the -1/3 factor include carefully rewriting the equation in standard form, double-checking your calculations, and using the correct signs and operations when factoring or using the quadratic formula.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve Jackson 6.5c with the -1/3 factor?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve Jackson 6.5c. However, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving the problem, rather than relying solely on a calculator. Additionally, be sure to use parentheses correctly when entering the equation into the calculator to avoid errors.