Finding the Probability of a Lost Marble Based on Conditional Probability

In summary, there are 4 identical boxes filled with marbles and there is a 25% chance that the machine will not find a marble in a box even if it is there. Using Bayes' theorem, we can calculate that there is a 25% chance that the marble is in any of the 4 boxes given that the machine did not find it in the first box.
pprex

Homework Statement

There are 4 identical boxes filled to the top with marbles. Your friend is playing around with your favorite marble and accidentally drops it into one of the 4 boxes (assuming that all marbles look almost identical). Now it is equally likely that your marble could be in any of the 4 boxes. Using a sorter to try to find your lost marble, the probability of the machine finding your marble from any box, if it is in fact there, is 0.75. How after sorting through the first box, the machine does not turn up your marble. What is the probability that the marble is in box 1, 2, 3, 4?

Homework Equations

I understand this problem to be some sort of conditional probability. P(marble being in box i | machine could not find it in box 1).

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can get from this so far is conditional probability. I can see that if the marble was in fact in box 1, there is a 25% chance that the machine just couldn't find it because of its own error and that remains the same for all 4 boxes.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting this problem. I would approach this problem using the concept of conditional probability. Let's define some variables first:

A: event that the marble is in box 1
B: event that the machine does not find the marble in box 1

We are given that P(B|A) = 0.25, which means that there is a 25% chance that the machine will not find the marble in box 1 even if it is there. We are also given that the machine has a 0.75 probability of finding the marble from any box if it is there. This means that P(B|not A) = 0.25.

Now, we can use Bayes' theorem to find the probability of the marble being in box 1 given that the machine did not find it in box 1:

P(A|B) = P(B|A) * P(A) / P(B)

P(A|B) = 0.25 * 0.25 / 0.25 = 0.25

This means that there is a 25% chance that the marble is in box 1 given that the machine did not find it in box 1. Similarly, the probability of the marble being in box 2, 3, or 4 would also be 0.25.

I hope this helps you solve the problem. Remember to always define your variables and use the appropriate formulas to solve problems like these. Good luck!

1. What is the "Probability of repair"?

The "Probability of repair" refers to the likelihood that a damaged or malfunctioning object or system can be fixed or restored to its original state.

2. How is the "Probability of repair" calculated?

The "Probability of repair" is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as Bayes' theorem, which takes into account the likelihood of different outcomes based on prior knowledge or evidence.

3. What factors affect the "Probability of repair"?

The "Probability of repair" can be influenced by various factors, including the severity and type of damage, the availability and quality of repair materials or tools, and the expertise and experience of the person performing the repair.

4. Can the "Probability of repair" be accurately predicted?

While statistical methods can provide a general estimation of the "Probability of repair," the actual outcome may vary depending on unforeseen circumstances or variables. Therefore, it is challenging to accurately predict the exact chance of successful repair.

5. How can the "Probability of repair" be improved?

The "Probability of repair" can be improved by using high-quality repair materials and tools, following proper repair procedures, and seeking assistance from experienced professionals if necessary. Additionally, regular maintenance and timely repairs can help prevent further damage and increase the likelihood of successful repairs in the future.