What are these thingies on suspension bridge cables?

In summary, a user on an online forum posted a picture of a bridge with a "thing" clamped onto the cables. They asked for insight on what the "things" could be used for. Another user suggested they could be balance or stabilization mechanisms for the cables. However, another user identified them as Stockbridge dampers, a type of tuned mass damper used to suppress vibrations in the cable and prevent structural damage. The red shadow in the picture is a truck, and the original poster was sorry to keep others hanging. The conversation then turned to discussing the Humber bridge and its construction.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Since I know there are a lot of engineer-types in these parts, maybe someone knows what these things are.

bridgee.jpg

Ther's a thing clamped high up on to the cable on the right, and every other cable on the bridge but I can't for the life of me work out what they are there for. any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't taken any engineering courses in my studies yet, but my guess is some sort of balance or stabilization mechanism? I'd imagine the cables could get pretty shifty in heavy winds, waves, etc. I'd guess that those "things" can be adjusted to take the wobble out of the cables?

Again, I'm no engineer; just throwin' it out there.

Those are Stockbridge dampers, a type of tuned mass damper. They're used to suppress vibrations in the cable and thus prevent structural damage and fatigue in the bridge. They're also used on some power lines and other cable-based structures.

What's that red shadow for? A truck? Anyways, cool pic!

Oh for that thingy, I don't know but my guess would be to absorb vibrations caused by Earthquakes, if any by contacting those cables to a free ended solid material!

P.S. you beat me Vasara, damn it! I'm slow :grumpy:

Vasara said:
Those are Stockbridge dampers, a type of tuned mass damper. They're used to suppress vibrations in the cable and thus prevent structural damage and fatigue in the bridge. They're also used on some power lines and other cable-based structures.

Wonderful, thanks!
:smile:

Another great picture matthyaouw!

Those are nice marbles, we put on bridges to make them look neat :tongue2:

Love the photo, and I got to learn something new. Now how can I work "Stockbridge dampers" into a conversation?

hypatia said:
Love the photo, and I got to learn something new. Now how can I work "Stockbridge dampers" into a conversation?

Agreed :biggrin:, I wouldn't bring them up in conversation though, it won't resonate well.

Cyrus said:
Agreed :biggrin:, I wouldn't bring them up in conversation though, it won't resonate well.

bahaha, that made me giggle. :rofl:

Very interesting:

The Stockbridge damper was invented in the 1920s by George H. Stockbridge, who was at the time working as an engineer for Southern California Edison. Stockbridge obtained US patent 1675391 on 3 July 1928 for a "vibration damper".[6] His patent described three means of damping vibrations on lines: a sack of metal punchings tied to the line; a short length of cable clamped parallel to the main cable; and a short (30 in, 75 cm) cable with a concrete mass fixed at each end.[6] It would be this last device that developed into the widely used Stockbridge damper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockbridge_damper

Cyrus said:

:rofl: GROAN! (I've never been able to resist laughing at groaners. ...and since I've seen Danger back around...not THAT kind of groaner. :grumpy:)

Sorry, I didn't mean to string you all along.

drizzle said:
What's that red shadow for?

Looks like matthyaouw is going to keep us in suspense.

Moonbear said:
...and since I've seen Danger back around...

Did I hear my name taken in vain?

Cyrus said:
it won't resonate well.
That was horribly good. It will echo in my mind for years...

lisab said:
Looks like matthyaouw is going to keep us in suspense.

HIyoooooooooo!

Wow, I learn something new every day(no surprise)

Yeah Drizzle, it's a truck. Sorry to keep you hanging around!
I feel bad that's the best I could come up with...

Glad people like the photo :smile:

Humber?

Last time I went, I walked the length of it. It was a windy day and you could see the expansion joints taking out a couple of inches every few seconds.

It's been my profile picture for ages!

brewnog said:
Humber?

Last time I went, I walked the length of it. It was a windy day and you could see the expansion joints taking out a couple of inches every few seconds.

It's been my profile picture for ages!

I love standing with one foot either side of the joint. It's a really unusual feeling :biggrin:
Magnificent piece of construction it is. Seeing it so often there's times I hardly notice it but every now and then I just think 'holy crap, that's amazing'

1. What are the "thingies" on suspension bridge cables?

The "thingies" on suspension bridge cables are called cable bands or cable clamps. They are used to secure the individual cables to the main suspension cable and maintain the proper tension and alignment of the bridge.

2. How do cable bands work on suspension bridges?

Cable bands are typically made of steel and are wrapped around the main suspension cable and the individual cables. They are then tightened using bolts to firmly hold the cables in place. This helps distribute the weight and tension evenly along the suspension bridge.

3. Why are cable bands necessary on suspension bridges?

Cable bands are necessary to ensure the stability and safety of the suspension bridge. Without them, the individual cables could shift or become slack, which could compromise the integrity of the bridge and potentially lead to collapse.

4. How are cable bands installed on suspension bridges?

Cable bands are typically installed during the construction of a suspension bridge. They are attached to the main suspension cable using specialized equipment such as cable banding machines. The individual cables are then inserted into the bands and secured with bolts.

5. Do all suspension bridges use cable bands?

Not all suspension bridges use cable bands. Some bridges may use other methods, such as wrapping the individual cables directly around the main suspension cable, to secure the cables in place. However, cable bands are a commonly used and effective method for maintaining the stability of suspension bridges.