Experimenting with Fire and Liquid Oxygen: My Fun Discovery

In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment where liquid nitrogen was used to produce small spurts of burning paper when coming into contact with burning paper towel. The experiment was a success and the possibility of writing a paper was mentioned. It was also suggested to measure the oxygen concentration in the liquid.
flatmaster
Earlier, I had posted that I thought that I had made liquid oxygen. People seemed skeptical that it would work, but I did an experiment to prove the concept.

On a ring stand, I had some burning paper towel. I put some liquid nitrogen in a pie tin and allowed atmosphere to condense on the outside. Allowing this cold liquid to fall on the burning paper produced small spurts of burning paper. It was a bit difficult to keep the cold nitrogen vapors from blowing out the fire, but if the pie tin was held high enough, this was not an issue.

I know this isn't any ground-breaking science, but it sure was fun! Should I write a paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi flatmaster. What you saw was slightly concentrated oxygen. Oxygen condenses preferentially on the liquid nitrogen pan you had, producing an oxygen rich liquid because oxygen condenses at a slightly higher temperature.

That's what I figured. It seems quite amazing that the cold nitrogen that's in there doesn't blow out the flame when it expands. I suppose the next step is to collect some and measure the relative concentrations. How can I do that?

Measuring oxygen concentration is much easier & less expensive than measuring nitrogen. See what's available to measure O2 concentration. Perhaps you could collect the drops off the pan by sucking them into an evacuated container.

I am always excited to hear about others' experiments and discoveries. It sounds like you had a fun and interesting experience with fire and liquid oxygen. However, I would caution against assuming that what you created was actually liquid oxygen. Liquid oxygen is a highly reactive and potentially dangerous substance that requires specialized equipment and safety precautions to handle. It is unlikely that it could be produced easily in a home experiment.

That being said, your experiment with burning paper and liquid nitrogen is still a valuable learning experience. It demonstrates the principles of condensation and the effects of extreme temperature changes on materials. It may not be groundbreaking science, but it is a great example of hands-on learning and exploration.

If you are interested in sharing your experiment with others, I would suggest documenting your process and results in a clear and detailed manner. This could be in the form of a paper or a blog post, depending on your audience. However, be sure to include any safety precautions and acknowledge any limitations or uncertainties in your findings.

Overall, I encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with science, but always prioritize safety and accuracy in your methods and conclusions. Keep questioning and learning, and who knows, you may make a groundbreaking discovery in the future.

1. What is liquid oxygen and how does it relate to fire?

Liquid oxygen is a form of oxygen that exists in liquid form at extremely cold temperatures. It is highly reactive and can act as an accelerant for combustion, making it a powerful tool for experimenting with fire.

2. Is experimenting with fire and liquid oxygen dangerous?

Yes, experimenting with fire and liquid oxygen can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken. Liquid oxygen is extremely cold and can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin. It also increases the intensity of fire and can cause explosions if not handled properly.

3. What are some safe ways to experiment with fire and liquid oxygen?

Some safe ways to experiment with fire and liquid oxygen include using small amounts of liquid oxygen in a controlled environment, wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, and following all safety guidelines and instructions provided by a trained professional.

4. Can experimenting with fire and liquid oxygen be educational?

Yes, experimenting with fire and liquid oxygen can be highly educational. It allows for hands-on learning about chemical reactions, properties of oxygen, and the effects of extreme temperatures on substances. It can also spark curiosity and interest in science and experimentation.

5. Are there any potential benefits to experimenting with fire and liquid oxygen?

Experimenting with fire and liquid oxygen can have potential benefits in fields such as aerospace and medicine. Liquid oxygen is used as a propellant in rockets and is also used in some medical procedures. It can also be a valuable tool for understanding and studying combustion and chemical reactions.