What Is the Direction of the Magnetic Force on a Proton?

In summary, To determine the magnetic force acting on a proton moving at a speed of 2.9 x 10^6 m/s in a magnetic field of 6.8 T, with the proton moving south and the magnetic field pointing straight down, you can use the equation F = qvBsinø, where ø is 90°. After solving, the force is determined to be 3.2E-12N. To determine the direction of the force, you can use Fleming's Left Hand Rule.
eric.c
QUESTION 1

Homework Statement

Determine the magnetic force acting on an proton (m = 1.67 x 10-27 kg) moving at 2.9 x 106 m/s in a magnetic field of 6.8 T. The proton is moving south. The magnetic field points straight down.

Homework Equations

F = qvBsinø

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that down means into the earth, and south means bearing to the south pole, so ø is 90°. I solved the equation and F = 3.2E-12N

However, I can't seem to figure out the direction of the force.

QUESTION 2

Homework Statement

Determine the direction of force that the proton experiences in traveling through the field. Remember that the X represents that the magnetic field points into the page.

R90OJ.png

Homework Equations

none that I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use Fleming's Left Hand Rule to figure it out

1. What is a magnetic force direction?

A magnetic force direction is the direction in which a magnetic force acts on an object or particle. It is determined by the orientation of the magnetic field and the charge or magnetic properties of the object.

2. How is the direction of a magnetic force determined?

The direction of a magnetic force is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current or motion of the charged particle, then your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm of your hand will face the direction of the magnetic force.

3. Can the direction of a magnetic force change?

Yes, the direction of a magnetic force can change if either the orientation of the magnetic field or the charge/magnetic properties of the object change. It can also change if the object moves in a different direction.

4. How does the direction of a magnetic force affect the movement of an object?

The direction of a magnetic force can either attract or repel an object depending on the orientation of the magnetic field and the charge/magnetic properties of the object. It can also cause the object to move in a circular motion if the magnetic force and the velocity of the object are perpendicular to each other.

5. Are there any real-life applications of understanding magnetic force directions?

Yes, understanding magnetic force directions is crucial in the development and use of many modern technologies such as electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also important in studying the behavior of charged particles in space and in the Earth's magnetic field.