What is the Trace of Density of States?

In summary, In order to understand better what's going on, you should take a closer look at how you got the H inside the delta function in the first place.
john0909
regarding the density of states:
how I GET THE FOLLOWING EQUALITY?
[tex]\langle E_n\mid \delta(E-\widehat{H}) \mid E_n \rangle = \sum_n \delta(E-E_n)
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If

[tex]
H|E_n\rangle = E_n|E_n\rangle
[/tex]

and if [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is some function, then the operator [itex]f(H)[/itex] is defined by using the eigenbasis of [itex]H[/itex], like this:

[tex]
f(H)|E_n\rangle = f(E_n)|E_n\rangle
[/tex]

Then, if you think that the delta function is like any function, you can do this:

[tex]
\delta(E - H)|E_n\rangle = \delta(E-E_n)|E_n\rangle
[/tex]

In order to understand better what's going on, you should take a closer look at how you got the [itex]H[/itex] inside the delta function in the first place.

yes but then you get:

[tex]
\sum_n \langle E_n\mid \delta(E-E_n) \mid E_n \rangle.

[/tex]

So how do you eliminate the bra and kets? [tex]
\langle E_n| , |E_n\rangle [/tex]

If you think that the delta function is like any function, then [itex]\delta(E - E_n)[/itex] is a number, and it can be taken out from between the brackets, by bilinearity of the inner product.

[tex]
\langle E_n|\delta(E - E_n)| E_n\rangle = \delta(E - E_n)\langle E_n| E_n\rangle
[/tex]

But you didn't answer my question:

let me explain you my problem:

The density of states n(E) is defined as the trace of the spectral operator
[tex] \delta(E-\hat{H}), \newline n(E)\equiv Tr \delta(E-\hat{H}). [/tex]

this expression is equal [tex] = \sum_n \langle E_n|\delta(E- \hat{H})| E_n\rangle.[/tex]

My question is how do I get the final expression:[tex] \sum_n \delta(E-E_n)? [/tex]
According to what you said above I get: [tex] \sum_n \delta(E - E_n) \langle E_n| E_n\rangle [/tex]
BUT HOW DO I ELIMINATE THE BRA AND KETS?
Because finally I need to get [tex] \sum_n \delta(E-E_n) [/tex].

Last edited:
I just decided that I'm in a nasty mood, and I refuse to answer your final question, even though I know the answer. BUHAHAHahahahahh...! :devil: :rofl:

john0909 said:
According to what you said above I get: [tex] \sum_n \delta(E - E_n) \langle E_n| E_n\rangle [/tex]
BUT HOW DO I ELIMINATE THE BRA AND KETS?
Because finally I need to get [tex] \sum_n \delta(E-E_n) [/tex].
What is [tex]\langle \psi | \psi \rangle [/tex] for any conventionally normalized state [tex]| \psi \rangle [/tex]?

1. What is the trace of density of states?

The trace of density of states, often referred to as the DOS trace, is a measure of the total number of energy states available in a given system. It is used to study the electronic properties of materials and can provide information about the electronic band structure and energy levels of a material.

2. How is the trace of density of states calculated?

The trace of density of states is calculated by summing the density of states at each energy level. The density of states is a function of energy, and it represents the number of available states per unit energy at a particular energy level. The trace is typically plotted as a function of energy, with the energy axis on the horizontal and the DOS trace on the vertical.

3. What is the importance of the trace of density of states in materials science?

The trace of density of states is an important tool in materials science as it provides valuable information about the electronic structure of materials. It can help identify the types of electronic transitions that occur in a material and can be used to understand the electrical, optical, and magnetic properties of materials.

4. How does the trace of density of states differ from the density of states?

The trace of density of states is a sum of the density of states at each energy level, while the density of states is a function of energy. The trace provides a more comprehensive view of the total number of states available in a material, while the density of states provides information about the distribution of states at different energy levels.

5. What factors can affect the trace of density of states?

The trace of density of states can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, its crystal structure, and any defects or impurities present. It can also be influenced by temperature, external electric and magnetic fields, and the presence of other materials in a composite system.