Boost generator transforms as vector under rotations

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and properties of a vector operator in quantum mechanics, specifically in relation to rotations. It is stated that a vector operator must transform correctly under rotations and the commutation relations between SO(3) generators X and vector operator Y illustrate this property. The conversation concludes with the clarification and understanding of this concept.
LAHLH
Hi,

I've read quite a few times now in group theory and QFT books that [tex] [X_i,Y_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}Y_k[/tex] can be regarded as saying that [tex] \vec{Y} [/tex], the vector of boost generators transforms as a vector under rotations (where X are SO(3) generators).

I don't really understand why this implies this fact, perhaps some could enlighten me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition in quantum mechanics for a vector operator ?

Well I'm guessing this is it, but I don't really understand why.

A 3-vector is a set of three quantities that transform correctly under rotations. In a Hilbert space the unitary rotation operators are

[tex]U(R)=1+i\mathbf{a}\mathbf{J}[/tex]

where J is the total angular momentum and R is a clockwise rotation of angle |a| around the a/|a| direction. A vector operator Y transforms like

[tex]U(R)\mathbf{Y}U^\dagger(R)=R\mathbf{Y}[/tex]

If you expand this in first order taylor series (i.e. if you consider infinitesimal rotations), you'll find the commutation relations you mentioned.

Thanks alot, that has cleared it up for me.

1. How do boost generator transforms behave under rotations?

Boost generator transforms behave as vectors under rotations in special relativity. This means that they follow the same mathematical rules as vectors, such as being able to be added and multiplied by scalars.

2. What is the significance of boost generator transforms behaving as vectors under rotations?

The fact that boost generator transforms behave as vectors under rotations is significant because it shows that they are an essential part of the mathematical framework of special relativity. This allows for a deeper understanding and application of these transformations in various physical phenomena.

3. Are there any limitations to the behavior of boost generator transforms under rotations?

Yes, there are limitations to the behavior of boost generator transforms under rotations. For example, they do not behave as true vectors under all types of rotations, such as Lorentz transformations. This is due to the non-commutative nature of these transformations.

4. How do boost generator transforms relate to other mathematical concepts in special relativity?

Boost generator transforms are closely related to other mathematical concepts in special relativity, such as Lorentz transformations and four-vectors. They are often used in conjunction with these concepts to describe the effects of boosts on physical quantities in special relativity.

5. Can boost generator transforms be applied to other areas of physics besides special relativity?

Yes, boost generator transforms have applications in various areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and general relativity. They are also used in other fields, such as engineering and computer science, to describe transformations in different coordinate systems.