Writing a letter of recommendation

In summary, the speaker is finishing their PhD and starting a postdoc at a high-profile university/lab. They have been asked to write a letter of recommendation for a student and want to include their new affiliation to add diversity. They are unsure how to sign the letter and have two questions: Is it okay to add the new affiliation and how should they include it? The answer is yes, it is okay to include the new affiliation and they can sign with both their current and new universities. They can also seek advice from the admissions office or other letter writers if unsure.
eri
I'm finishing my PhD; I will be defending in a few weeks and then starting a postdoc at a high-profile university/lab. One of my research students has asked me to write a letter of recommendation for him which is due by the end of this week. His other letter writers are also at my current university. I'd like to put my new affiliation on the letter as part of my signature since I think it would add some diversity to his letters and maybe make it look a bit more impressive than yet another letter from our large state university. Two questions: is it OK to add this new affiliation? I haven't started the job yet, but I've signed a contract and they have told me to add the affiliation when applying for conferences starting in the next months. And if it is OK to use it, how should I put it? Including my current university, I assume? Not really sure how to sign these things; it's my first time writing a real letter of recommendation. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is perfectly fine to add your new affiliation on the letter of recommendation. You are already a part of that institution and it can help demonstrate the diversity of your experiences and connections. In terms of how to sign the letter, you could include both your current and new affiliations. For example: , PhD [Current University] [New University] If you are unsure, you can always reach out to the admissions office or the student's other letter writers for advice.

1. What should be included in a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation should include an introduction, an explanation of your relationship with the person being recommended, an evaluation of their skills and abilities, specific examples of their accomplishments, and a conclusion that summarizes your recommendation.

2. How long should a letter of recommendation be?

A letter of recommendation should generally be one page in length. It should be concise and focused on the most relevant information about the person being recommended.

3. Who should write a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation should be written by someone who knows the person being recommended well and can speak to their abilities and character. This could be a professor, supervisor, or mentor.

4. Is it necessary to include personal anecdotes in a letter of recommendation?

Personal anecdotes can be helpful in illustrating the person's strengths and skills, but they are not necessary. The focus should be on providing specific examples and evidence of the person's qualifications.

5. How should a letter of recommendation be formatted and submitted?

A letter of recommendation should be typed and formatted professionally. It should be submitted on letterhead, if possible, and signed by the author. It can be submitted electronically or in a sealed envelope if a physical copy is required.