Why are these two angles congruent?

• Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In fact, the inscribed angle theorem I am familiar with and assuming that.In summary, angle LAB and angle ACB are congruent because they are both measured from half of arc AB, which is the inscribed angle theorem. This can be shown by considering a point A' just slightly counterclockwise from A and showing that as it moves closer to A, the angle A'AB approaches half of arc AB, making angle ACB and angle LAB congruent. This reasoning can also be applied to the tangent case, as the tangent can be seen as the limit of the inscribed angle.
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Triangle ABC is any triangle.

My book says it's because both angles are measured from half of arc AB but I don't see how they can say that.

I presume you see why angle ACB is half of arc AB. (The inscribed angle is half the corresponding central angle.) Consider a point A' just a very slight distance counterclockwise from A but really close to it on the arc, and consider the angle A'AB. This is an inscribed angle whose arc is almost arc AB so its angle is almost half of arc AB. As A' moves closer to A arc A'B moves closer to AB until when A' = A the subtended arc is AB and its angle is half of arc AB.

I see that angle ACB is half of arc AB. But I don't see why we can also say that angle LAB is congruent to ACB because LAB is measured from half of arc AB (which is the reason my textbook gives for the congruence of ACB and LAB).

Can you show angle LAC = angle LBA or triangle LAC congruent to triangle LBA?

zgozvrm said:
Can you show angle LAC = angle LBA...
I know that that statement is true, but only because my text states it, however my text does not explain why it is true. If you could explain why it is true or give me a theorem that would help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Here's a new picture:
forumcircleangles.jpg

You already know that angle c is on half arc AB = 1/2 angle o.

Notice that 2a + o = 180 degrees. Also, since the tangent line is perpendicular to the radius, b + a = 90 or 2b + 2a = 180.

So 2b + 2a = 2a + o or 2b = o so b = 1/2 o which is 1/2 arc AB so b = c.

LCKurtz said:
Here's a new picture:
forumcircleangles.jpg

You already know that angle c is on half arc AB = 1/2 angle o.

Notice that 2a + o = 180 degrees. Also, since the tangent line is perpendicular to the radius, b + a = 90 or 2b + 2a = 180.

So 2b + 2a = 2a + o or 2b = o so b = 1/2 o which is 1/2 arc AB so b = c.

Nice!

:approve:

Thank you!

LCKurtz said:
I presume you see why angle ACB is half of arc AB. (The inscribed angle is half the corresponding central angle.) Consider a point A' just a very slight distance counterclockwise from A but really close to it on the arc, and consider the angle A'AB. This is an inscribed angle whose arc is almost arc AB so its angle is almost half of arc AB. As A' moves closer to A arc A'B moves closer to AB until when A' = A the subtended arc is AB and its angle is half of arc AB.

Having seen your alternate explanation and proof, I am curious for which situations the above reasoning can be applied. Would this be considered logically sound in a formal proof (using limit arguments) or is this just an intuitive explanation? I fear that my inability to decipher this problem on my own was due to my lack of familiarity with the basic theorems of euclidean geometry. In fact, I went as far as trying to use the parallel lines associated with the given triangle's orthic triangle to alebraically determine the congruence of those two angles. I have to thank you again for this great solution.

Noxide said:
Having seen your alternate explanation and proof, I am curious for which situations the above reasoning can be applied. Would this be considered logically sound in a formal proof (using limit arguments) or is this just an intuitive explanation? I fear that my inability to decipher this problem on my own was due to my lack of familiarity with the basic theorems of euclidean geometry. In fact, I went as far as trying to use the parallel lines associated with the given triangle's orthic triangle to alebraically determine the congruence of those two angles. I have to thank you again for this great solution.

The point of my first post was to show you that the tangent case was just the limit of the inscribed angle case, so you would expect the same answer. I suppose you could make it mathematically rigorous but it would take more detail. But the fact that it is the limiting case of the inscribed angle suggests that the usual proof for the inscribed angle should lead the way to the proof in the tangent case. That is in fact how I came to the proof I gave.

1. Why is it important to know if two angles are congruent?

Knowing if two angles are congruent is important because it allows us to make predictions and solve problems involving angles. If two angles are congruent, we can assume that they have the same measure, and use this information to determine other measurements or relationships between angles in a given shape or figure.

2. How can you prove that two angles are congruent?

Two angles are congruent if they have the same measure. This can be proven using different methods, such as the Angle-Angle-Side (AAS) theorem, Side-Angle-Side (SAS) theorem, or the Side-Side-Side (SSS) theorem. These theorems involve comparing the measures of the angles and sides in a given shape or figure to determine if they are congruent.

3. What is the difference between congruent angles and similar angles?

Congruent angles have the same measure, meaning they are identical in size and shape. On the other hand, similar angles have the same shape, but may have different sizes. In other words, similar angles have proportional measures, while congruent angles have equal measures.

4. Can two angles be congruent if they are not the same shape?

No, two angles cannot be congruent if they are not the same shape. Congruent angles must have the same shape, meaning they must have the same number of sides and angles in the same positions. For example, two right angles can be congruent because they have the same shape, but a right angle and an acute angle cannot be congruent.

5. How can the concept of congruent angles be applied in real life?

The concept of congruent angles can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in construction and engineering. It is important to ensure that angles in structures are congruent to maintain stability and balance. Congruent angles are also used in map making and navigation, where accurate and proportional angles are necessary for accurate measurements and directions.