Dealing with Humidity While Stargazing: Is It Worth It?

In summary, if you take a scope out of a A/Ced house or car into warmer night air it will fog in a hi H envro., but if you let the scope warm up this will not be as big a problem. The scope should come with detailed collimation instructions, and changing eyepieces should have definitely made an obvious difference.
kleinma
I tried to check out Mars and the moon the other night with my new orion dob.. but it was so humid that the scope got all fogged up... is this just something you have to live with? Are nights of high humidity just bad nights to go observing?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
if you take a scope out of a A/Ced house or car into warmer night air it will fog in a hi H envro.
if you let the scope warm up this will not be as big a problem, by leaving it out of the cooler places or turn off the car A/C unless dew actively is falling at the time.

My scope manual says to leave it outside with the lens caps on for half an hour to let the temp equalize. Even without condensation, temperature variations will lower the resolution of the scope.

I used to just crack open my window and view from there though.

last night i put the scope in the car about 45 min before we went out... it worked much better.. also the humidity wasnt AS bad last night... first thing i pointed at was the moon.. awesome to see it with so much detail... obviously the easiest thing to find in the sky.. Mars we found with ease, but I was a little disappointed because I thought we would get a little more detail with it... it seemed less red through the scope and not all that much bigger than the naked eye... maybe we were doing something wrong.. because i tried using different eyepieces to increase the view.. but still couldn't see it any better

Originally posted by kleinma
last night i put the scope in the car about 45 min before we went out... it worked much better.. also the humidity wasnt AS bad last night... first thing i pointed at was the moon.. awesome to see it with so much detail... obviously the easiest thing to find in the sky.. Mars we found with ease, but I was a little disappointed because I thought we would get a little more detail with it... it seemed less red through the scope and not all that much bigger than the naked eye... maybe we were doing something wrong.. because i tried using different eyepieces to increase the view.. but still couldn't see it any better
If that was the case, see if the scope came with detailed collimation (alignment) instructions. That could be THE problem, and changing eyepieces should have definitely made an obvious difference.

What kind of scope, and focal length, and what focal length eyepieces are you using??

Originally posted by russ_watters
My scope manual says to leave it outside with the lens caps on for half an hour to let the temp equalize. Even without condensation, temperature variations will lower the resolution of the scope.

This is key. This same time can also be used to allow your eyes to dark-adapt (takes ~15 minutes).

1. How does humidity affect stargazing?

Humidity can have a significant impact on stargazing. When the air is humid, it contains a lot of water vapor which can scatter and absorb light from the stars, making them appear fainter and less clear. This can make it difficult to see faint objects in the sky and can also create a hazy or blurry appearance.

2. Is it worth stargazing in humid conditions?

It depends on your goals and expectations. If you are a casual stargazer, a little bit of humidity may not make much of a difference. However, for serious stargazers or those interested in astrophotography, high humidity can significantly impact the quality of their observations. It's ultimately a personal decision, but it's important to be aware of the potential effects of humidity on stargazing.

3. How can I deal with humidity while stargazing?

There are a few things you can do to mitigate the effects of humidity while stargazing. First, try to choose a location with lower humidity, such as a dry desert or high altitude. You can also use a dehumidifier or air conditioning to reduce humidity in your observing area. If possible, wait for drier, less humid nights to stargaze. Additionally, using a telescope with a larger aperture can help compensate for the reduced clarity caused by humidity.

4. Can humidity affect telescope equipment?

Yes, high humidity can cause problems for telescope equipment. Moisture can build up on lenses and mirrors, affecting their performance and potentially causing damage over time. It's important to properly store and maintain your equipment to prevent damage from humidity. You can also use a dew shield or anti-dew heater to help keep moisture from accumulating on your telescope.

5. Are there any benefits to stargazing in humid conditions?

While humidity can make stargazing more challenging, it can also have some benefits. For example, high humidity can create a phenomenon known as "seeing" where the atmosphere acts like a lens, magnifying and sharpening the images of objects in the sky. This can result in clearer views of planets and stars. Additionally, high humidity can also create beautiful atmospheric effects, such as halos and coronas, that can enhance the overall stargazing experience.