Constructing a Dual Basis for V to Prove the Direct Sum of Dual Space

V as a linear combination of basis elements from M and N ... now, what happens when you apply an element of V* to a vector in V?).In summary, to prove that if V=M \oplus N, then V^*=M^o+N^o, you need to construct a dual basis for V and use the fact that V is a direct sum of M and N. This will allow you to write any vector in V as a linear combination of basis elements from M and N, and then use this knowledge to show that for any f \in V*, f(\epsilon)=(g+h)(\epsilon) where g\in M^o and h\in
yifli

Homework Statement

show that if [tex]V=M \oplus N[/tex], then [tex]V^*=M^o+N^o[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
So I need to prove for any [tex]f \in V*[/tex], [tex]f(\epsilon)=(g+h)(\epsilon)[/tex], where [tex]g\in M^o[/tex] and [tex]h\in N^o[/tex].

[tex](g+h)(\epsilon)=g(\epsilon)+h(\epsilon)=g(\alpha+\beta)+h(\alpha+\beta)=g(\beta)+h(\alpha)[/tex], where[tex]\alpha \in M[/tex] and [tex]\beta \in N[/tex].

I'm stuck here, how to proceed?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you be more explicit in how you use symbols and what you're trying to do? You look like you're a little confused.

(P.S. are there typos in what you wrote? What is [itex]M^o[/itex]? Did you really mean + instead of [itex]\oplus[/itex]?)

This appears (to me) to be one of those problems where if you are clear and precise, everything is obvious -- so the only real obstacle is actually being clear and precise about what you're doing.

yifli said:

Homework Statement

show that if [tex]V=M \oplus N[/tex], then [tex]V^*=M^o+N^o[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
So I need to prove for any [tex]f \in V*[/tex], [tex]f(\epsilon)=(g+h)(\epsilon)[/tex], where [tex]g\in M^o[/tex] and [tex]h\in N^o[/tex].

[tex](g+h)(\epsilon)=g(\epsilon)+h(\epsilon)=g(\alpha+\beta)+h(\alpha+\beta)=g(\beta)+h(\alpha)[/tex], where[tex]\alpha \in M[/tex] and [tex]\beta \in N[/tex].

I'm stuck here, how to proceed?

Thanks

Sorry for the confusion. [tex]V[/tex] is a vector space and [tex]v^*[/tex] is the dual space.
M and N are the subspaces of V, and [tex]M^o[/tex] and [tex]N^o[/tex] are the annihilators. There was a type: [tex]V^*=M^o\oplus N^o[/tex], meaning direct sum

first, construct a dual basis for V ( the cannonical basis for V* ) -- that should get you far. Remember that the dual basis elements kill everything except for particular basis elements ( defined by a set { alpha_i } such that if { v_i } is a basis for V, alpha_i ( v_j ) = 1 when i = j and 0 otherwise ). Then remember that V is the DIRECT SUM of M and N, so that you know all about your basis for V.

1. What is the direct sum of dual space?

The direct sum of dual space is a mathematical concept where two vector spaces are combined to form a new vector space. It is denoted by V ⊕ W, where V and W are the two vector spaces. The direct sum of dual space is also known as the direct product of dual spaces.

2. How is the direct sum of dual space related to the original vector spaces?

The direct sum of dual space is a combination of the dual spaces of the original vector spaces. It is formed by taking the Cartesian product of the dual spaces of each vector space. Therefore, the elements of the direct sum of dual space are pairs of elements from the dual spaces of the original vector spaces.

3. What is the dimension of the direct sum of dual space?

The dimension of the direct sum of dual space is equal to the sum of the dimensions of the original vector spaces. In other words, if the two vector spaces have dimensions m and n, then the direct sum of dual space will have a dimension of m+n.

4. How is the direct sum of dual space different from the direct sum of vector spaces?

The direct sum of dual space combines the dual spaces of the original vector spaces, while the direct sum of vector spaces combines the original vector spaces themselves. Additionally, the direct sum of dual space results in a vector space, while the direct sum of vector spaces results in a set.

5. What are the properties of the direct sum of dual space?

Some of the properties of the direct sum of dual space include the fact that it is associative, commutative, and distributive. It also has an identity element and an inverse element. Additionally, the direct sum of dual space is a bilinear operation, meaning it is linear in both of its arguments.