Block Tipping Over [Torque and Forces]

In summary, a rectangular block weighing 7600N and measuring 3m high and 1.8m wide is pushed with a force at an angle of 20.5° and a distance of 1.6m from the bottom of the block. To calculate the force required to tip over the block, the equation Ʃτp = 0 can be used, where the torque due to gravity is equal to the torque due to the applied force. However, the torque due to the applied force is not correctly calculated in the given attempt at a solution. To accurately calculate this torque, the cross product of the position and force vectors can be used.
fobbz

Homework Statement

A rectangular block 3m high and 1.8m wide weighing in at 7600N is pushed with a force 20.5° to the height of the block 1.6m from the bottom of the block.

Calculate the Force Required to tip over this block.

Homework Equations

Torque = perpendicular force x distance or force x perpendicular distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I make a free body diagram of the block.

N force up
mg force down
F 69.5° [N o E]

Secondly, I write my ƩTorque eq, using the pivot point where the box will tip on an angle. I will call this P.

Ʃτp = 0
(0.9)mg = (Fsin69.5)(1.6)
F = 4564.0 N

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not certain I understand what angle the applied force is meant to be at... is it meant to be 69.5 degrees from the horizontal?

I don't think the equation is quite right. The torque due to gravity is correct, but I think the torque due to the applied force should be different.

The torque is the cross product of position (relative to the pivot) with the force. The position of the applied force will be on the other side of the block compared to the pivot point. And the fact that the force is applied 1.6m from the bottom makes the calculation a bit trickier.

To work out the torque due to the applied force, you could either calculate the distance which crosses the line of the force perpendicularly and times this with the full force F. (This will take a few calculations of angles).

Or you could do the cross product, which I think will be easier.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How does torque affect the stability of a block?

Torque plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a block. If the applied torque is greater than the resistance torque, the block will tip over. This is because the torque will cause the block to rotate, and the center of gravity will move outside the base of support, making the block unstable.

3. What are the factors that contribute to the stability of a block?

The stability of a block is influenced by several factors, including the weight and shape of the block, the surface it is resting on, and the location of the center of gravity. A wider base, lower center of gravity, and greater weight distribution towards the base will increase the stability of the block.

4. How can we prevent a block from tipping over?

To prevent a block from tipping over, we can increase the resistance torque by increasing the weight of the block, widening the base, or lowering the center of gravity. We can also decrease the applied torque by reducing the force or the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How is the concept of torque and forces applied in real-life situations?

Torque and forces are essential concepts in many real-life situations, such as designing buildings and structures, engineering machines and vehicles, and understanding the stability of objects. They are also crucial in sports, such as gymnastics and diving, where maintaining balance and stability is essential.