Modern theoretical QM research

In summary, modern theoretical quantum mechanics research is focused on developing new theories and models to better understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. This includes investigating the principles of superposition and entanglement, as well as exploring the possibilities of quantum computing and communication. These advancements have the potential to greatly impact various fields such as computing, cryptography, and materials science. Additionally, researchers are also studying the implications of quantum mechanics on our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of reality itself. Overall, modern theoretical QM research is pushing the boundaries of our understanding of the quantum world and its potential applications.
estedrich
Hi,
I have a BS in Physics and Math, and am taking a 2 year hiatus to bike to Argentina. I'm currently 3000 miles in, 14000 left.
Anyway, I am going to apply to graduate school for admission 2013, and I'm interested in theoretical physics. Primarily, I am interested in the foundations of quantum mechanics - the dispute between Einstein and Bohr over what we came to call entanglement is really fascinating. I don't have access to much while I am on the bike trip, but I have been reading their old papers on the subject, as well as Bell's paper on the topic ("Concerning Bertlmann's Socks" or something like that). Anyway, it seems to me as though there is still interesting work to be done on the subject, but most physicists, even theorists, seem to take a very practical approach to it and disregard any questions about the fundamental basis of QM as philosophy.
Basically, I am interested in finding modern research into the basis of Quantum Mechanics, possibly a continuation of Bell's work. Is anyone doing this? Where can I find papers on the subject? I am trying to decide which graduate schools to apply to, and so I would like to find professors who share my interests.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Primarily, I am interested in the foundations of quantum mechanics - the dispute between Einstein and Bohr over what we came to call entanglement is really fascinating.

One thing about the argument is that it's been settled. Einstein was wrong. Whether Bohr is right or not is up for grabs.

estedrich said:
Basically, I am interested in finding modern research into the basis of Quantum Mechanics, possibly a continuation of Bell's work. Is anyone doing this?

It's a small niche.

You can start with the papers here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_test_experiments

Some other google terms "Roland Omnes" and the "black hole information problem."

Where can I find papers on the subject? I am trying to decide which graduate schools to apply to, and so I would like to find professors who share my interests.

Look at the papers and see where the professors are. It's probably better if you look for graduate schools where people are working on the experimental aspects of Bell's inequality. There really isn't that much theoretical work on the topic, because the theory is pretty much reached something of a dead end (i.e. if QM is correct, then we have these weird effects, and we have a number of different interpretations which are experimentally indistinguishable, now what?). There is a lot of thinking and argument over the black hole information paradox, but that's also reaching a dead end, since it's hard to do quantum experiments with black holes.

Personally, I think that the experimental parts are more interesting because to set up something that actually tests the Bell inequality requires non-trivial amounts of applied physics. Also what theory is going on is less "pure theory" than trying to come up with clever new experiments.

Also something that is related but much more active are the fields of "quantum computing" and "quantum cryptography." There is a lot of active theory that basically starts with the rules of QM and then tries to figure out how to calculate things.

Last edited:
Have a look at the Perimeter Institute
http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/en/Scientific/Research/Quantum_Foundations/

Last edited by a moderator:
two-fish
What was Einstein wrong about? I think his viewpoint is commonly misunderstood. And when you say the debate is settled, what is the result of the debate? Einstein was trying to defend local realism, a principle that I don't think has been universally rejected.

estedrich said:
local realism, a principle that I don't think has been universally rejected.

There are lots of experiments that -thanks to the theoretical work by Bell, Legget and others- have shown that all theories that are based on local realism must be wrong.
There is still Bohmian mechanics etc (which predict the same experimental outcomes as conventional QM), but "conventional" local realism is not in agreement with experiments.

So yes, Einstein was wrong.

Have a look at this

http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/12/1/013019

I have the feeling that you might find that type of research mainly in Europe and especially around Balkan countries since in America it is either impress or perish. These type of things unfortunately do not impress as much as they used to do. Now a days people rush to advanced applications without solving conceptual difficulties that seem to arise in theories. They just sweep it under the carpet (or into some constants).

What is modern theoretical QM research?

Modern theoretical QM research refers to the ongoing scientific investigation and development of theories and models that aim to explain and predict the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level. This research is crucial for understanding the fundamental laws of nature and has practical applications in various fields such as quantum computing and materials science.

What are the main areas of focus in modern theoretical QM research?

The main areas of focus in modern theoretical QM research include quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, quantum information theory, and quantum gravity. These areas often overlap and work together to deepen our understanding of the quantum world.

What are some current challenges in modern theoretical QM research?

Some current challenges in modern theoretical QM research include the need to reconcile quantum mechanics with general relativity, the development of a theory of quantum gravity, and the exploration of the role of consciousness in quantum mechanics. Other challenges include understanding the nature of entanglement and the creation of a unified theory that can explain all fundamental forces.

How does modern theoretical QM research impact everyday life?

Modern theoretical QM research has led to many technological advancements that have greatly impacted everyday life. For example, quantum mechanics has enabled the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It also has the potential to revolutionize computing, communication, and encryption in the future.

What are some recent breakthroughs in modern theoretical QM research?

Some recent breakthroughs in modern theoretical QM research include the development of quantum teleportation, the discovery of topological insulators, and progress in quantum computing and quantum cryptography. Other significant advancements include the confirmation of quantum entanglement and the observation of quantum tunneling in experiments.