Simultaneity of Events, Do I Have it Right?

In summary, when moving at 90% c, an observer equidistant from two light bulbs sees them flash at the same time when the moving object passes them. However, from the moving object's frame, it is seen that the front bulb emits light before the back bulb. When the moving object flashes a light, it is seen by the observer hitting both bulbs at the same time.
Drakkith
Mentor
Ok, I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

Let's say I'm moving at 90% c and pass a light bulb that is at rest with another light bulb in the distance. In the frame of reference of an observer equidistant from the light bulbs, they flash at the same time that I my distance from each is equal. IE when I pass the observer. The observer concludes that the light from the bulb in front of me hits me before the light from the back bulb.

Now, from my frame, I see that the front bulb emits light before the back bulb, and would not say that the lights emitted light at the same time.

Alright, now let's say that I have a light bulb that I flash when I see myself pass the observer. Occording to my frame I conclude that the light hits the front light bulb before the back one. However the observer sees my light hit both bulbs at the same time.

Is all that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

1. What is simultaneity of events?

Simultaneity of events refers to the occurrence of two or more events at the same time.

2. How is simultaneity of events measured?

Simultaneity of events is measured using a reference frame or a specific point in space and time. The timing of events can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference.

3. Can two events be simultaneous in one frame of reference but not in another?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, the timing of events can be relative to the observer's frame of reference. Therefore, two events that appear simultaneous in one frame of reference may not appear that way in another.

4. What is the significance of understanding simultaneity of events?

Understanding simultaneity of events is crucial in physics and other scientific fields as it helps us accurately measure and predict the timing of events. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity and our understanding of time and space.

5. How does the concept of simultaneity of events apply to everyday life?

The concept of simultaneity of events is applicable in everyday life in various situations, such as coordinating schedules, understanding the timing of events in sports or entertainment, and even in determining the cause and effect relationships between events.